Thread: OPST Commando Heads

Default OPST Commando Heads

I'm looking to get a new line for my 8wt rod. I was thinking of RIO's single-handed spey to make single handed spey casts when fishing for steelhead on the American or striper fishing in the Delta. HOWEVER, it has been recommended that OPST puts out a PHENOMENAL commando head that you can launch a country mile. Anybody have any feedback on these heads? Sure would like to know more about them.

Thanks,
    beachbum2 (Tim)

Not an answer to your question but I noticed today OPST had the lower weights and 25# Lazer Line back in stock so I have 225 gr Commando and Lazer headed my way for my 9' 5 weight. I've been wanting to try this setup for a while.

Commando heads work great with single handed rods and will jack t-tips, versileaders and Mow's. OPST's line chart shows a 325 gr. line at 15 ft. for an 8 wt single hander. Go with their chart unless you have actual experience with a different line weight. Also Rio has the Skagit Trout Max and Airflo has the new Skagit Scout heads that are very short and are similar to the Commando. Can't go wrong with the Commando.

Makes casting fun again! I am really enjoying single hand Skagit on the small rivers of the coast. Who would have thought an intruder and 10' of t14 would be so easy to cast?

Agreed, I have been using OPST head on an Orvis Hydros 9wt for bass off my float tube and its a hoot. No more back casting, just strip it to the head/shooting line junction, snap T, and go. Talk about covering water.

I have been using commando heads for salmon, steelhead, and trout fishing for the past year here in Alaska. Many of my friends are using them as well. I have heads for 6,7,8, and 9 wt single hand rods. Once you figure out the correct tips and fly sizes (especially on the monster articulated flies we use) these heads are incredible. They are game changers! I easily fish spots I could not fish before because I can do so without a back cast. Just strip to the head and roll cast. If I have room for a single, short backcast on our bigger rivers, I can easily shoot 100-120 feet.