Thread: Eel River spill

Default Eel River spill

Does anyone have any inside info on the Eel River spill? Havent found much online.
    I was heading up to Trinity few days ago and got turned away at Leggett.
    Tanker with 1,000 gallon of used oil and hydraulic fluid crashed .....people onsite wouldn't discuss extent of spill.
    that stretch of Hwy 101 is so close to Eel.
    cant be good

According to the two news accounts I found no oil made it to the river or to the nearby creek.

http://www.times-standard.com/genera...r-tanker-spill

https://lostcoastoutpost.com/chpwatc.../oct/18/00056/

That is a relief...

Didn't hear about it thanks for posting, guys.

I talked to a friend in Humboldt who lives near crash. He didn't have much info but said large sections of the road have been removed as in they are stripping the assfault away? maybe the road soaked it up?
    "Unknown amount of oil" doesn't sound good
    I had original heard 1,000 gallons now 10,000 gallons.
    Not very detailed. rains are coming.......... potential 2 week cleanup doesnt sound minor.
    Anything not cleand up is going into Eel when it rains..... right when our little buddies are trying to get back home
    anyone working on the spill thanks you
    anyone driving that section SLOW DOWN it is curvier than you think
    truckers and locals are known to fly through there
    ..... it can be a bit sketchy through there

so, we have no real evidence that it is an "Eel River Spill" at this point?
    I would hope we don't make things out to be more than they are, would prefer factual.

the fact that Haz Mat is working feverishly is a good sign, I think.
    Let's hope it is contained with no long term environmental consequences.

that's a tight, twisty area for Semi's. But they are the necessary commerce transport link for Eureka, Arcata, Crescent City etc.
    Steelhead gear = $6287, no of adults caught = 3, amortized cost = $2,095.67, beaching that 30" fish and letting it go = priceless

I just read the two news reports on this situation referenced by tcorfey in his post. This accident took place right at Smithe Grove on the SF Eel. I had actually stopped at Smithe Grove October 17th (the day before the truck overturned) for a few minutes as I headed to Oregon to fish for Salmon on the Smith, Chetco and Elk Rivers. When I was driving home on October 25th after my salmon fishing outing, vehicle traffic was limited to one lane through this area. When I passed by Smithe Grove heading south, work crews had removed all the asphalt from the small parking area at Smithe Grove and portions of the southbound 101 roadway. This seemed odd to me at the time, as the parking lot looked fine to me when I stopped briefly on the way to Oregon. I had no idea at the time that a spill had occurred. Smith Grove is fairly flat terrain and the road is likely 200 feet or more from the SF, so hopefully little or no waste made it into the river. Also, with high flows the past few weeks on the SF and the Main, any waste that might have made its way into the SF will do less damage than might have occurred without all the good October rains we have received this year.