Thread: Spey Leaders and Lengths

Default Spey Leaders and Lengths

Just added this page to my website to help determine what length of leader/tippet to use when swinging flies on floating and sinking tips. I also included a list of the mandatory mono that steelheaders should carry (listed at the bottom).
    Hope this helps.-JP

http://jpflyfishing.com/groupclasses...der_system.htm
    Jeff Putnam
    JP Flyfishing Schools
    http://jpflyfishing.com

Thanks for posting that, Jeff! Sure is going to clear up a lot of questions from the guys new to the Spey game.

Wonderfull. Thanks.

Right on, Jeff. This is super helpful.

Any thoughts on the Airflo 14ft Polyleaders? For Summer/Fall I've been using 10ft floating Polyleaders with 3-4ft of tippet on a Sage One 6126, going to try a 14ft floating Polyleader with 2-3 ft of tippet and see if it'll cast a little better.

On a Burkie 5115 the 10ft floating Polyleaders are great, just not getting the same results out of my 6126 with a 10ft Polyleader.

Quote Originally Posted by Bwag View Post
    Any thoughts on the Airflo 14ft Polyleaders? For Summer/Fall I've been using 10ft floating Polyleaders with 3-4ft of tippet on a Sage One 6126, going to try a 14ft floating Polyleader with 2-3 ft of tippet and see if it'll cast a little better.

On a Burkie 5115 the 10ft floating Polyleaders are great, just not getting the same results out of my 6126 with a 10ft Polyleader.
    I have that same rod. I like the 14 footer with a 390 rage for skaters and chuggers.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben J View Post
    I have that same rod. I like the 14 footer with a 390 rage for skaters and chuggers.
    Good to know, thanks! Although I may sell the rod along with a burkie, really enjoy fishing shorter spey rods these days...