Thread: In River Vertigo

Default In River Vertigo

A couple of weeks ago while wading I started to have the sensation that the bank and mountain across the river were moving, and at a rather rapid pace. It was a rather unsettling sensation and I promise I had not drank any alcohol. The next day I experienced the same sensation but it was no where as intense or of the same duration. Just curious if anyone else has experienced that weird sensation?

Default Vertigo....

I've experienced vertigo off/on over the last 5 years. Not sure what the cause of it might be in you but I'd recommend getting checked out by a doctor as soon as you can. I found that vertigo was relieved by a medication that slowed my heart rate.

Sudden onset could be a sign that something else (bad) is on the way. Better safe than sorry....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Found this resource-
    -
    http://www.humanillnesses.com/original/U-Z/Vertigo.html
    -
    Hope it resolves itself.
    Best,
    Larry S

I have had this my entire life.

If I fish on a stream for a long time, when I look up at the hill sides they will be moving.

My wife and I have had real Vertigo in the past few years.

It is like sea sickness. Something to do with your inner ears.

We take sea sick medicine.

Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

I get vertigo every now and then. I was on a shed roof last week laying shingles and looking down and then all of a sudden looking up and POW, every thing was spinning. I've had it too where I was throwing up... A bad case of sea sickness. Never have been sea sick.
    My wife had a real bad case and we went to the emergency room. They did a bunch of special tests.. Lay flat, then stand up. Sit up and then stand up, stand up. No vertigo effects. That was around $1,200 for those special tests. The only thing they gave her was a prescription for sea sick pills. Mesquillan 8 pills $80.00, OTC 24 per pack, $4.95. Worked just fine
    I think mine might be cause by my inner ear problem I've had since I surfed. Plus I'm 80% hearing loss.

Both times I was wading and moving down through the run. The first day it was very annoying and as soon as I got out of the water the sensation quit. The second day was the same it was while wading, it did not seem as strong and as long as I did not look at the other bank I was fine. It is the weirdest sensation it appears the water is slow and the back and hills are moving that the speed of the river. I have never had any type of motion sickness.

You experienced Flicker Vertigo. A rapid change in light intensity from sunlight reflecting off of waves or ripples (or shadows flickering in your car while driving past backlit trees) can cause vertigo and nausea. It has been attributed to helicopter crashes when the pilot looks up through the blades at the sun. It's officially called the Bucha effect and in rare, susceptible persons can cause migraines and seizures.

On water, simply face away from the sun and it should quickly dissipate.

Quote Originally Posted by NCL View Post
    A couple of weeks ago while wading I started to have the sensation that the bank and mountain across the river were moving, and at a rather rapid pace. It was a rather unsettling sensation and I promise I had not drank any alcohol. The next day I experienced the same sensation but it was no where as intense or of the same duration. Just curious if anyone else has experienced that weird sensation?

Thank you. Interesting