Thread: Anyone hit the American Today?

Default Anyone hit the American Today?

Left home and it was pouring. Thought to myself: "I bet nobody will be out there in this weather"... boy was I wrong! The riffle I decided to fish had 31 salmon fishermen in it when I got there, probably over 40 when I left. They were killing it though! Lots and lots of salmon being caught. No Steelies for me though. I was the only fool out there with a spey rod. Hopefully I'll find a willing fish soon!

Tough weekend for me as well Gary, as you noted lots and lots of people on the river

I am guessing we should be fishing down river more like from Gristmill access down stream to Watt Avenue?

How far down the river are the salmon guys?
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Not these days Bill....

Salmon flossers pretty much occupy every fast riffle between Sailor Bar and Paradise Beach.

Fish the deeper runs and/or accesses which require at least a 1 mile hike and do it in the middle of the day and you MAY have some solitude...

Lower Sunrise was quiet on Saturday when I was there. One other guy swinging and just a fat sucker for me.

I was out there today swinging a fly at lower Sunrise. There were three drift boats in the area but no other guys like me on the shore. Never got a hook up but saw 40+ jumping in the water over three hours. Overall a nice day but it would have been better if I caught something!

Quote Originally Posted by STEELIES/26c3 View Post
    Not these days Bill....

Salmon flossers pretty much occupy every fast riffle between Sailor Bar and Paradise Beach.

Fish the deeper runs and/or accesses which require at least a 1 mile hike and do it in the middle of the day and you MAY have some solitude...
    Thanks Steelies......
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Are any flyfisherman targeting Chinook? Any recommendations for this? I might need to break out the big rod.

I've been trying several times but without success. I was there today at Sunrise from 7Am to 8:30. There were a bunch of salmon rolling and jumping but none interested in my flies. I think it's difficult to catch them on flies. From the info I collected on line, kings like big profile flies like intruders etc. I use my 12' 9" 8wt sage Z-axis

Not sure about the A, but on the Feather I have luck with small bright flies, like size 6 regular shank. Never had even a look with a big fly.