Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone been to the Trinity recently

Default Anyone been to the Trinity recently

I was thinking about heading to the Trinity after the rain pushes through, probably looking at not this, but the next, weekend. Any ideas on where the fish might be? Do you think Douglas City is too far upstream? Should I look down around Junction city? Thanks!!

I was in The Fly Shop yesterday and was told it has been slow on the Trinity but this rain could totally change that prognosis. I would go below Junction City but I have caught them this early up by Douglas City which probably does not help your decision. Good luck may see you over there.

I fished the Del Loma area 2 weeks ago ... one fish here ... one fish there ... way fewer fish than I normally see for this time of year ... we are expecting 3-5 inches of rain this weekend which will certainly change things up ... I am hoping there are more fish on the way!

After this rain and the river get back in shape it could be very good on all long Fall Steelhead rivers.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Thanks all. Maybe I'll head down river. I'm pretty familiar with the area around Douglas City, but maybe its time to learn new water and try below Junction city....

There is reports of 6 inches of rain in the valley and 14 inches in the mountains so it should be good once the river is back in shape. I will probably head over late next week. PM me if you want some leads on lower water.

Looking at the GOES West Coast Sat the bulk of that is going into WA, and OR.

My brother is going this weekend and his guide says they have been averaging about 4 adults per day.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

On November 1, 1981, just after a good rain, Joe Shirshac and I went to the Trinity River and put Joe's trailer at the camp ground at Junction City. We went to Radio Riffle in the morning, which was loaded with fresh-run rolling adult Steelhead. Nobody was there but us. We landed about 12 fish that day that were 6 to 12 pounds swinging Silver Hilton flies on a floating line. We did that for a week with almost no one around but ourselves. Every day it got a little slower until after about a week they were all gone upstream and we went home. This is when Joe took the 8 mm movie footage of me landing fish that is in the 'Rivers of a Lost Coast'. This was one of those trips that you will never be able to duplicate. This is why if you are a Steelheader and you want to have a trip or two like that in your lifetime you just have to go.....

Joe Shirshac had been fishing the Klamath and Trinity River sense 1952, just after coming home from WWII. Joe lived up there around Lewiston and worked on the new dams on the Trinity River. He would go fishing, hunting an gold panning when he live up there. I was so lucky to have Joe take me to the Trinity and the Klamath Rivers back in the 1970s and 1980s.

Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

That's awesome Bill! Joe's the man, a living legend! I always enjoy hearing stories and pointers when I run into Joe. You guys saw the days of fishing when it was unreal.... epic!!
    Last edited by Mark Kranhold; 10-13-2016 at 10:42 AM.