Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gualala River

I wanted to bump this thread and see if anyone had any recent intel on the status of the mouth of the river and if it's open enough to the ocean to allow the fish to get in.

I would like to head over there next weekend if the weather and flows allow...depending on how much rain we get in the next 7 days...

Quote Originally Posted by PV_Premier View Post
    I wanted to bump this thread and see if anyone had any recent intel on the status of the mouth of the river and if it's open enough to the ocean to allow the fish to get in.

I would like to head over there next weekend if the weather and flows allow...depending on how much rain we get in the next 7 days...
    With the flows pushing 700cfs right now, I'd be shocked if the mouth wasn't open. That's a lot of water for that river. That being said, at those flows, the river is probably very muddy and not fishable. More rain on the way, so it's probably gonna be a while before it drops to fishable levels. However, the Gualala drops very quickly when the rain stops. Look for flows around 350-450cfs and you should be good to go. Most of the fish come in to the Gualala late Dec-Feb. So it's still probably too early, but you won't know until ya go. I can think of worse places to be, that's for sure......

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff F View Post
    . Look for flows around 350-450cfs and you should be good to go.
    Thank you for this insight. I will see what it looks like by next Friday. I figure the rivers are really going to take a beating this coming week with the forecast being what it is.

Hey kburz,
    Why not wait until the SAF Eel clears? Lot of wadeable water and easy access - purchase a StreamTime map
    for $!0. A great place to learn steelhead techniques - indie, stripping, swinging. Buy the StreamTime Map.
    Open campgrounds if that's your ticket.
    Best,
    Larry S
    Sun Diego

With all the rain the Eel won't clear for quite awhile. If and when the rain stops the Gualala will come into shape much sooner.

I think I'm finally gonna try this over the upcoming weekend with the flows appearing to come into shape from what I am seeing. Anyone been out there this year before the pineapple express apocalypse?

That "G" takes a good week to ten days to turn any sort of green any more. By the time it greens up you are generally fishing the few stragglers.....but good luck anyway.
    .....lee s.

I ended up at the Trinity after all. Didn't do that well with only one 20"ish wild guy landed, but the weather was OK. Cold mornings, a bit better in the afternoons.

Quote Originally Posted by PV_Premier View Post
    I ended up at the Trinity after all. Didn't do that well with only one 20"ish wild guy landed, but the weather was OK. Cold mornings, a bit better in the afternoons.
    One wild steelhead isn't bad either for the returns this year.
    Remember, it is steelhead fishing after all.

Winter Steelhead with a fly is very hit and miss because it is weather dependent.

If there is no recent rain the rivers can be too low and clear an even closed.

If it rains the rivers can be too high and dirty.

In between these two situations are a few days when a short coastal winter river can be just right.

Then on those few days you need to be there....

Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........