Thread: Klamath- the Mediocre and the Bad!

Default Klamath- the Mediocre and the Bad!

The Bad: construction on Hwy 299- I hit every delay to the max which added 65mins to my drive between Redding and Orleans. Plan accordingly or drive over 299 before 6am or after 6pm.

The Mediocre: I fished Wed, Thus & Fri and caught only half pounders, none over 14".. had to fish sun up to sun down to get 3-5 fish a day. Floated Big Bar to Aitkens Creek in my Watermaster raft, so I was covered lot of good water not many people can get at. Went to Pecwan on Thus day and saw 8 jet boats, all fishing mainly downriver of Johnson's & 3rd day floated Orleans to Big Bar. Green Butt Skunk and October Hilton got the hits swinging. Spoke to 2 guides who both said the fish were still down low in the river... "give it 2 more weeks" they both said. Of course, they were doing good (as all guides would say).

All the non-guided fishermen I talked to had only caught half-pounders and about half of the people had not caught anything.

Drove back through Happy Camp-- only saw 2 drift boats near Marble Mountain and 2 launching for pm float on up river side of Happy Camp. There were several drift boats within 20 miles of I5...

It is my understanding that the construction below Buckhorn Summit on 299 is going on 24/7. So the before 6 am and after 6 pm rule no longer applies. At least, as far as that stretch is concerned. I sent you a PM, as well.
    "Radiate, radiate, radiate far and wide as the lines of latitude and longitude on a globe."
    - John Muir

Buckhorn 299 is 6 to 6 it's my daily commute.

Good news. Caltrans needs to update the information on its website:

"1-WAY CONTROLLED TRAFFIC AT VARIOUS LOCATIONS FROM 0.4 MI EAST TO 7.3 MI EAST OF THE TRINITY/SHASTA CO LINE /AT BUCKHORN SUMMIT/ 24 HRS A DAY 7 DAYS A WEEK THRU 11/18/16 - DUE TO CONSTRUCTION - MOTORISTS ARE SUBJECT TO DELAYS OF UP TO 50 MINUTES."
    "Radiate, radiate, radiate far and wide as the lines of latitude and longitude on a globe."
    - John Muir

Live in old Shasta work in junction city buckhorn is hit an miss lately an there's been some pavement replacement going on both sides of Weaverville fishing as been hit an miss for me both swinging an bobber fishing

I think they're painting stripes on the new pavement, so shouldn't be much longer.
    maybe in a week or two, the fish will move up further.

Brace yourselves for the upcoming storm later in the week. Thursday or so.
    No kidding, this could be a big dump. River levels and reservoirs may rise decently.
    Steelhead gear = $6287, no of adults caught = 3, amortized cost = $2,095.67, beaching that 30" fish and letting it go = priceless