Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Harbor freight trailer question ?

Default Harbor freight trailer question ?

Ive been wanting to pull the trigger on a harbor fright trailer 4X8 for my pontoon boats but i have one concern.

Are people driving these on I-5 and in general over 55-60 with no issues?

I was reading the fine print on the trailers and they say 45 mph MAX.

They seem perfect.....and the warning is probably liability overkill but hoping people have some first hand feedback.

Thanks for your time

My son bought one of those from harbor freight. The one that folds in half so you can stack up against a wall. It was very light to start with and a pontoon/pontoons aren't really a heavy load. Going down the road was good until about 60 mph and then it got really jumpy and swayed. He added some weight in the form railroad ties and that helped. He eventually came across a cheap jet ski trailer and modified that one. I think the problem is the light weight and small tires. If you don't go to far from home they are probably fine, especially considering the price. If you're taking a long trip you might want something "Heavier" that has bigger tires.

I always wondered if one of those sway control bars would of worked on that HF trailer?

I have seen some nice jet ski trailers for pontoon boats. My concerns were exactly what you described. Too light and starteing to bounce around at high speeds. OK. customize harbor frieght trailer with additional weight? or look into some thing heavier duty.

I was thinking upgrade tires but doesnt look like you can upgrade tires due to the wheel well?

Thanks for the input.

You could get a Yeti ice chest and fill it with ice and beer. That should take care of the weight problem.

That's the best idea yet johnsquires! Hey, is Andre puyans little fly shop still in PH? Another quick question; I graduated from Pleasant Hill High School in 68, just wondering?

Yes, I believe Creative Sports is still in business in Pleasant Hill. I hear very good things about that shop in the old days.

Quote Originally Posted by Idadon View Post
    That's the best idea yet johnsquires! Hey, is Andre puyans little fly shop still in PH? Another quick question; I graduated from Pleasant Hill High School in 68, just wondering?
    I was in there on Sat. Andy sold it years ago and he died near you in Henry's Fork in 2005. It is now just trying to survive in face of the big outlets, online stores and Big Y Fly Company selling US made flies for a dollar or less..... nothing like the "gathering place" it was with Andy...... but that may be true for many fly fishing shops. BUT I still support the local fly shops where ever I fish...

@johnsquires--- that is a great solution for going.... what do you do for the return trip when the ice is melted an beer is gone?

Jim

@johnsquires--- that is a great solution for going.... what do you do for the return trip when the ice is melted an beer is gone?

Jim[/QUOTE]

Those Yetis are pretty heavy, even when empty. But you make a very good point. Story of my life, not thinking things all the way through.

Quote Originally Posted by Idadon View Post
    yes, creative sports is still in PH and is still a viable place to shop. If Jaime doesn't have what I need, I usually have him order it for me. It's nice to still have a customer oriented, locally owned shop in my town

Spend the extra money and buy a decent trailer. You will burn out the bearings quickly at freeway speeds. Mine lasted for about 1500 miles before I started having problems. I ended up cutting the axle, welding on an extention and buying new spindles, rims and tires. Even with that, I still worried about the durability. I just brought a new trailer from Pac West Trailers in Sac and it's worth the peace of mind.