Thread: Lake Davis and Frenchman Lake 9/26-30/16

Default Lake Davis and Frenchman Lake 9/26-30/16

I needed another toad fix and I wasn't disappointed....the first day was the best day, water temp 62, bugs were coming off, light winds, some toads were feeding on the surface in the end of Freeman Bay in some very shallow water, i hooked 7, landed 5 on my 5 color UV marabou streamer on a floating line fishing in the weed beds.

The second day I decided to give Davis a rest and went to Frenchman Lake, found a fly club and 9 tuber's fishing Turkey Point area.....bummer, so I packed my tube to the end of the lake that no one wanted to fish, lots of weed beds and very shallow water with a lot of rising trout feeding on the surface....wow, I should have caught 30 trout if I had the right fly, but I only landed 7 on my flies with a floating line and a long leader.

The third day I fished Lake Davis, with a building wind I went back to Freeman Bay, after 500 bad cast that ended up hung up on the weeds, this weed had a wiggle and then it blasted out of the shallow water for deeper water, my fly line was screaming off the reel, it's been a long time since I seem my backing being taken out by a Lake Davis trout......wow. I only hooked 3 and landed 2 that long windy day.

The fourth day I stayed close to my launch point with a building wind that turned into a 20+ mph big tail wind for the ride back to the launch point....that was kind of scary.....not surprising that I didn't catch anything.

TOAD

Frenchman trout 15-20 inches
    The trout were on the surface in this very shallow water.

Big wind at Lake Davis

Fire in the sky
    Last edited by gene goss; 10-01-2016 at 10:13 AM.

Nice post Gene....

Are those fish pretty strong?
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Bill .....those triploid trout are getting bigger, and when you hook one in 2-3 ft of water..... they will take off like a rocket for deeper water.

I need to put my buddy from out of Town on some fish this weekend. Anyone got .02$ on what Davis or Frenchman would fish like after the first big rain of the year? Any insight appreciated-thanks!

The weather forecast doesn't look good for any fishing at Frenchman or Davis through the weekend and even in to Monday. The conditions could improve significantly after the front has passed through, but it's a crap shoot. I've gotten reports from my friends who fish Davis & they mirror what's been posted on this site...scattered fish, few but BIG. I've been hitting Frenchman regularly & double digit fish of 16" to 18" are pretty normal & while the weather has been pretty nice. Not much help John, but I'd tell your buddy if the weather permits, make the 50 mile trip and give it a shot. We've also done well at Boca, so he might want to consider that option.
    RR