Thread: Recommended Floats for the upper/middle Rogue River

Default Recommended Floats for the upper/middle Rogue River

I need help targeting some sections to float & fish for steelhead on the Rogue. Will be there second week of October. It will be my first time on the Rogue. Will be hauling a raft. Will be swinging for the most part.

Unless the fishing reports indicate some sections are on fire, prefer to float and get out and wade sections that are not crowded and/or accessible to non-floaters.

I've done some research on Google Earth and BLM publications.

My "guess" on good floats would be downstream of Dodge Bridge Park (Hwy 234).

Any resources you want to point me to? Any advice on floats to target?

I called the Ashland Fly Shop and could not get much useful information.

Thanks

Dugger

Book a guide for a day, will make learning the river much easier

Call Alex at Rogue Valley Anglers- 541.973.2988. Super cool guy who loves the swing. He can send you in the right direction.

If you are up by Shady Cove, I believe you can use the raft shops Shuttle Service - (541) 878-4000. It is called The Fishing Hole Fly Shop. They also can give you the Put Ins/Outs just be sure to let them know you are fishing, not just rafting or they will give you a section that you will never reach in time due to stopping along the way to fish. Also check for anyone that shuttles for fly fishermen in the area you are going. They will know how long it typically takes and can be a potential ride back up to your car if you are not bringing a second one to shuttle!

S&W Shuttle 541-840-4190. Fishin Hole is great for gear and sandwiches but they charge way too much for shuttle. Below Dodge is Rattlesnake which requires way more rowing skills than floats above. Below Touvelle at old dam site also requires rowing skills.

Andy

Hi,
    I caught my first adult steelhead on a fly there, and have been back many times in the fall. Rogue Elk Park on down to below the Shady Cove Bridge is plenty for a day, probably about 7 river miles. There are great fly fishing spots to wade, and a lot of traveling water which moves along. It is easy class 2 water. I got my first drift boat from Willy and made my first ever drift rowing it, though I had been down it with a guide before to scope it out. Be sure to fish the launch area which you can wade. It is a large holding area with great structure, and it's frequently overlooked. Down below it a ways there are some lava rock ledges which extend out from the left side which are also good for wading and swinging flies ( and holding steelhead). Just watch out for the gaps between the ledges. On down the river there is a classic run called the Cable Hole, consisting of a mild rapid going into long run which is good wading from the left side and fishing all the way thru. There is a further nice ledge rock on down the river on the right which fishes well wading on the ledge. There are other small spots. Watch out for the occasional rock below the surface on the flat glides which you will see from the disturbed water. I always fish it with a single handed 10' 7wt rod with a floating line or 5' sink tip, and swing small #8 sparse flies.
    Have Fun.
    Last edited by alcimedor; 10-02-2016 at 04:35 PM.

Go to Morrison's Lodge....in October.

They have nice packages there with meals, lodging and guides for $1695.00 for 3 days fishing and 4 nights lodging with nice meals.

http://morrisonslodge.com/

We go there every year......

Easy drive up Interstate 5.....6 hours from Sacramento to Grants Pass, Oregon.

Rogue has been good....
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........