Thread: Hwy 299 West Construction - ?

Default Hwy 299 West Construction - ?

Per Caltrans, the construction delays on Hwy 299 could add 60+ mins to a drive between Redding and Willow Creek.

Is that reality? If so, (per my old memory) its 40-60 mins longer to drive to Yreka and down Hwy 96 to Orleans?

Which way to drive?
    Last edited by JayDubP; 09-27-2016 at 08:58 AM.

That construction has been going on for a while... Last few times I was up there I had no issues or delays if I got out of Redding before the sun came up. The work is straightening out the really curvy parts just past Whiskeytown.

Redding to Yreka is a good distance.

The tight switchbacks up to Buckhorn summit are being eliminated.
    Kind of sad, love to drive or ride that section.
    But it'll make it much easier on the Semi's & underpowered RV's.

I've never waited more than 20 mins. As they do the single lane "follow the lead car" game.
    Steelhead gear = $6287, no of adults caught = 3, amortized cost = $2,095.67, beaching that 30" fish and letting it go = priceless

I've been through there a lot this summer and a couple times lately. I think the 60 minute wait represents the worst case scenario (think Westbound, 6:00 p.m. on a Friday night). Basically, the one lane/lead car section keeps shrinking, and, based on my recent experiences, a typical wait is between 0 and 20 minutes (including the drive through). As JohnB pointed out, if you get there before 6 a.m., there is no construction or wait.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragking View Post
    I've been through there a lot this summer and a couple times lately. I think the 60 minute wait represents the worst case scenario (think Westbound, 6:00 p.m. on a Friday night). Basically, the one lane/lead car section keeps shrinking, and, based on my recent experiences, a typical wait is between 0 and 20 minutes (including the drive through). As JohnB pointed out, if you get there before 6 a.m., there is no construction or wait.
    I will take 299 and just build an extra 60mins into my plans.

Thanks,

Jim

This past Sunday, on the way back from the Klamath there was a slide that took
    out one lane....this was on the way to Weaverville from Willow Creek.

Waited 30 min. It must have happened Saturday sometime because it looked
    pretty recent. The construction crews had all kinds of chains and barriers
    holding back tons of rock.

Eric

Drive over parts of 299 every day. Right now there is delays at Buckhorn (0-20 minutes), Weaverville (0-10 minutes), Helena (<5 minutes), and Big French Creek (this is the longest, up to 30 minutes). Still probably better than going over 96 though. There's 3 more between Willow Creek and 101 as well.