Thread: Moths!

Default Moths!

I just discovered that moths have infested my tying desk. So far, I've found one hare's mask and some saddle hackle that have been completely destroyed, but I haven't really started digging through everything. Obviously, I want to salvage what I can and prevent the little buggers from spreading. I'm thinking that at a minimum I need too remove all drawers, etc from the house. Then Hoover and clean inside the empty desk. Then clean out each drawer, and then go through each material, disinfect, and re-bag. Any ideas on products that I could use on the materials that would kill the eggs and remaining live moths. Anything else I need to do? Will they go after synthetic materials too?
    Finally, I have a small window of time tomorrow morning; what are the chances I can reach full containment without the missus finding out?
    Any help appreciated.
    patrick

Clean every thing out, vacuum all you materials, hackles, hair, etc. Then put them in zip locks and throw them in the freezer. That should kill all living creatures. I store all my good necks and saddle in the freezer. Then if you bring them back in, I use the boxes with lids and put some lavender buds in a cheeze cloth bag and throw it in the box. It's much better smelling than moth balls, better than cedar chips. Lavender also smells better. I haven't had any problems with bugs since then.

Hadn't thought about the freezer. That's a big help.
    Thanks, Jay.
    patrick