Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: any OPST users?

Default any OPST users?

I have a Redington CPX 10' 7Wt rod that I use on the American for steel. I am thinking of going to an OPST Commando head at 275 grains and a 10' T-8 mow tip, based on the recommendations on their website. I am also planning on getting the Lazar line. Anybody here use an OPST set-up on a single hander like this? Appreciate any input.
    Beast

I use the 275 on my 5 weight switch rod, so that sounds right for a 7 weight single hander. It throws the light iMow tips nicely.
    Last edited by PatrickM; 09-23-2016 at 06:07 PM.
    patrick

Thanks Pat. Have you tried any other mow tips or poly leaders like versileaders?

No problem Beast. Yeah, I've tried a 10' Airflow intermediate poly leader for swinging small wet flies and it worked just fine. These lines are pretty versitile. I'm usually doing sustained-anchor casts, but I've goofed around with overhead casting, and you can really shoot some line out there. Did I mention that these lines are really fun to cast?
    Also, I've tried the OPST Lazar running line in the 30lb size. This was my first experience with mono, so it took a bit of time to get used to handling it. It does coil a bit coming off the reel, but seems ok once you give it a stretch. It is kind of pricey for mono, though. I know there are cheaper monos out there that people use as running line, such at Berkley Big Game and Stren Catfish Mono, but I haven't tried these as of yet.
    Best of luck!
    patrick

I prefer the RIO Trout skagits - the reason is independent of grain weight they are all 11 feet - this is typically something RIO does on their lines is keep them the same length. Does not make sense to me to make lines longer as grain weights go up? The trout speys are make so you can strip them in - thus the short length. However, I do wish that RIO made a 150 and 175 rather than starting at 200 grains

Quote Originally Posted by PatrickM View Post
    Berkley Big Game and Stren Catfish Mono, but I haven't tried these as of yet.
    Best of luck!
    I put Berk Big Game on my two handed rods. Love it. They do coil, but once you stretch them out, it is fine. I'm sold on mono for running lines. Not only can you shoot them further, but much better for eliminating a belly during the swing. The Berk Big Game is cheap and works.

OPST hooks are the best! Great gap, sharp points, barbless out of the box. I have yet to see one straighten out and I've used them on big steelhead and salmon in BC.

I have OPST commando heads for 6, 7, and 8 wt rods. I love them. I have caught kings, rainbows and steelhead swinging or using beads. I use a variety of tips depending on the water I am fishing and how I am fishing. Many of my friends are also using them. These heads are game changers in my opinion.

I've had a 250gr Commando head since they hit the scene. Used mostly on 5 & 6 wt conversion single hand rods. It will throw light MOW tips and versileaders just great. A slowed down sweep and compact stroke will fire out any sustained anchor cast plus decent snake rolls and single speys, even overhead. Yes, a game changer, especially single hand rod spey casting. Get one.

Thanks for the input fella's. I pulled the trigger and sent for the 275 grain Commando head, the Lazer running line in 30 lb and a set of Rio Imow light tips. Looking forward to trying them out and reporting back.