Thread: Swinging 1 fly or 2 ?

Default Swinging 1 fly or 2 ?

I have always only used 1 fly when swinging FOR STEELHEAD. That is just how I learned and for all these years it has been good to me. But someone asked me why I do not fish 2 flies--- and I was stumped, other than 1 fly never gets tangled and with all the casting, 2 flies might actually be a negative................... What do you guys do?
    Last edited by JayDubP; 09-21-2016 at 05:21 PM.

I know Andy Guibord swears by swinging a scuplin with a caddis dropper. Seems to work for him!

I used to swing two flies all the time, still will occasionally. 90% of the time on a two fly setup, the dropper gets eatin! This could just be the bigger top fly aids as an attractor to get the fishes attention and then it eats the dropper? If I new how to speak fish, I'd ask

Swinging two wet flies, one larger first and then a smaller trailer.

This is a good thing........
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

When I used to fish strictly for trout, I would swing three flies. Great system. However, now that I only fish for salmon/steelhead, I only fish with one fly. Since these fish are bigger and you need to have such a large distance between the flies to keep from foul hooking them with that second fly, it throws off my whole cast.

BTW, I often caught two or three trout at the same time with a 3-fly setup. Can you imagine catching two steelhead at once? You'd probably lose em both. Although it may be worth it just to say you've done it.