Thread: Support the Bay Delta Plan Amendment. A Once-In-A-Lifetime chance.

Default Support the Bay Delta Plan Amendment. A Once-In-A-Lifetime chance.

This is a call to action to support the revised Bay Delta Plan

The Irrigation Districts are coming for your rivers!

In recent years, about 20% of the unimpaired flow has been left in the tributaries of the San Joaquin (San Joaquin, Merced, Tuolumne, Stanislaus). The Irrigation Districts, their farming customers, and the politicians who support them have taken to calling people like us who enjoy rivers “environmental extremists”, and any water left in the rivers is “wasted”. Salmon in the system are down from 400,000 historically to just a few thousand. Steelhead are barely detectible.

Now the State Water Board is saying that the rivers belong to all of us and that the ID’s don’t trump the Endangered Species Act. They are calling for an increase in flows to 50% of the unimpaired flows.

THIS IS A ONCE IN A LIFETIME CHANCE TO REVIVE THESE PRECIOUS RIVERS!

PLEASE GET TO A MEETING:
    • November 2 (Wednesday) and 10 (Thursday) - 9:00 a.m.
    CalEPA Headquarters, 1001 I Street, Sacramento
    • November 4 (Friday) - 9:00 a.m. Modesto Centre Plaza, 1000 L Street, Modesto
    OR WRITE A LETTER OF SUPPORT FOR THE REVISED PLAN:

Please address your letter as follows, and submit it by email, fax or standard mail. For emails, it's best to send your comments in pdf format.

Jeanine Townsend, Clerk of the Board
    State Water Resources Control Board
    1001 I Street, 24th Floor
    Sacramento, CA 95814-0100

Fax: (916) 341-5620
    Email: commentletters@waterboards.ca.gov

There’s no end to the thirst of these ID’s. Just look at the bleak south Valley where the Kern, Kings, Kaweah, and San Joaquin all currently run dry and where the Tulare Lake once covered more area than any freshwater lake west of the Great Lakes. If we don’t make a stand on the tributaries of the San Joaquin, the ID’s will be emboldened to increase their overuse to the North. Maybe to your home river.

Help kids growing up in Modesto, Turlock, Merced, and Fresno to experience healthy rivers full of salmon.

Default SWRCB Meeting....

Thanks for the notice on the meetings. I'll plan on making the Sacramento meeting.

I'm a bit confused by the title you've used for the Delta plan tho. Are you referring to the Bay Delta Plan that became the current WaterFix Plan?? This doesn't sound like a proposed amendment to the WaterFix Plan. It sounds like SWRCB is holding hearings to decide whether to establish a standard for in-stream flows for environmental purposes. If established, might result in some change to WaterFix(???).
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Darian View Post
    Thanks for the notice on the meetings. I'll plan on making the Sacramento meeting.

I'm a bit confused by the title you've used for the Delta plan tho. Are you referring to the Bay Delta Plan that became the current WaterFix Plan?? This doesn't sound like a proposed amendment to the WaterFix Plan. It sounds like SWRCB is holding hearings to decide whether to establish a standard for in-stream flows for environmental purposes. If established, might result in some change to WaterFix(???).
    It's a proposal to update the Bay Delta Water Quality Control Plan by staff members of the SWRCB. The board itself is expected to vote on it early next year. This period of public input is crucial. Check out these two summaries.

http://myemail.constantcontact.com/A...id=-c1CifGoetg

http://www.sacbee.com/news/state/cal...101983402.html

Here's a great article describing this amendment and what we can do to help:

http://www.modbee.com/opinion/state-...106767747.html

Meeting times have been pushed back and meetings have been added:

November 29, 2016 – 9:00 a.m.
    Joe Serna Jr. – CalEPA Headquarters Building
    Byron Sher Auditorium
    1001 I Street, Second Floor
    Sacramento, CA 95814

December 16, 2016 – 9:00 a.m.
    Stockton Memorial Civic Auditorium
    Main Hall
    525 N Center Street
    Stockton, CA 95202

December 19, 2016 – 9:00 a.m.
    Multicultural Arts Center
    645 W. Main Street
    Merced, CA 95340

December 20, 2016 – 9:00 a.m.
    Modesto Centre Plaza
    Tuolumne River Room
    1000 K Street
    Modesto, CA 95354

January 3, 2017 – 9:00 a.m.
    Joe Serna Jr. – CalEPA Headquarters Building
    Coastal Hearing Room
    1001 I Street, Second Floor
    Sacramento, CA 95814

I have learned more about the situation: The Stanislaus river is already protected by flow regimes related to being part of the Central Valley Project, so the Tuolumne and Merced definitely stand to gain the most from this revision. Come stand up for the rivers!

Thanks

I JUST saw this...

I'll try and attend the Nov 29th meeting.

Quote Originally Posted by STEELIES/26c3 View Post
    Thanks

I JUST saw this...

I'll try and attend the Nov 29th meeting.
    Thanks Steelies. This is NOT about WaterFix!! This is a plan to increase the flows in these lower rivers up to 40% of pre-dam flows. this would nearly double the 21% on the Tuolumne and increase the Merced 60%. The Stanislaus already keeps around 40% of her water, so might not benefit much. I will be attending the Modesto meeting. PLEASE LOOK ABOVE FOR MEETINGS AND LETTER WRITING OPPORTUNITIES.