Thread: Upper Sac or E. Carson?

Default Upper Sac or E. Carson?

I have some free time in early October. Thinking about fishing the Upper Sac or EC. Any suggestions?

Too pretty different streams. The East Carson at least above hangman is pretty much all put and take now. You can catch tons of fish and its fun but they are planters. Below the bridge the wild population is very thin due to 4 years of drought. Still in October you will have this place mainly to yourself. Flows will be low and cold but very fishable. I only fish the EC now with my son who is learning to fly fish because its a great beginner stream.

Upper Sac will be quiet with most people fishing the lower sac egg bite or over on the trinity for steelies. Wild fish with a much healthier population than east carson that is for sure. Lower elevation with warmer weather typically as well. It could easily be 75-80 in October on the upper sac. Most likely will be cold on the EC with mornings in the 30 range.

If it was me I would fish the upper sac. If it sucks you can skip over to mccloud.

Thanks. I fish the U. Sac every year. I haven't fished the Carson in decades. Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mike borba View Post
    Thanks. I fish the U. Sac every year. I haven't fished the Carson in decades. Mike
    I would still fish the upper sac. The carsons...both. Aren't anything special these days. Drought has taken its toll.
    Maybe hire a guide and float the lower sac for the egg bite. Doesnt get much better than that.

East Carson fishing real good @ moment on October caddis w/ lots off nice wild fish down by the hot springs