Thread: Any yuba reports?

Default Any yuba reports?

Been cooped up and finally have a day off tomorrow. Anyone been to the yuba lately? Thanks.

yes. a couple of us floated it last weekend, and did well on both dries and indicator nymphing. the river has changed a lot since the high flows of winter and the fish are a bit scattered about. some of the runs that used to be very productive are no longer so, and conversely areas that didn't hold a lot of fish are now productive.

my recommendation is to cover a lot of water and stick with the basics. i fished an indicator rig most of our float last weekend and probably hooked at least 15 fish with the "usual suspect" flies. the water is very clear and subsurface you will need to go 4-5x fluoro for best success.

there are some salmon starting to show up now too...

Quote Originally Posted by PV_Premier View Post
    yes. a couple of us floated it last weekend, and did well on both dries and indicator nymphing. the river has changed a lot since the high flows of winter and the fish are a bit scattered about. some of the runs that used to be very productive are no longer so, and conversely areas that didn't hold a lot of fish are now productive.

my recommendation is to cover a lot of water and stick with the basics. i fished an indicator rig most of our float last weekend and probably hooked at least 15 fish with the "usual suspect" flies. the water is very clear and subsurface you will need to go 4-5x fluoro for best success.

there are some salmon starting to show up now too...

Good report PV. Thx. Any "eggs" showing up yet or still a little early. Amazing how an "episode" like the high water blow out of last year really changed this fishery. I'm a believer its a good thing. Keeps you always on the move.

Quote Originally Posted by cdevine View Post
    Good report PV. Thx. Any "eggs" showing up yet or still a little early. Amazing how an "episode" like the high water blow out of last year really changed this fishery. I'm a believer its a good thing. Keeps you always on the move.
    Fished the river this morning from first light till 10. Very slow. Two of us skunked---much different than last Saturday. Saw zero salmon and covered about a mile and half of river. Perhaps there staging in deep water and you can see them from a boat but i didn't see even one. Saw one or two what appeared to be reds but no salmon on them. My assumption is that until eggs start happening (couple weeks out is my guess before it rfa good) fish will be keyed in on hoppers and caddis nymphs in the afternoon. Who knows though---every day on the yuba is different.

Ive been swinging streamers on a switch rod the past few visits and have been getting a few nips and occasionally a take. I've been picking up a lot of fish the deeper water about chest high. Not much any shallower than that.
    I've been reading a lot of good dry action reports but I don't like blindcasting dries that much. The stubwing stones are hatching and the hoppers are out so dries are a good choice.
    Keep Calm and Fly Fish
    https://keepcalmandflyfish.com/