Thread: BC Chinook - video by Todd Moen

Default BC Chinook - video by Todd Moen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aodOSQyZeY0

You need a big disc drag salt water fly reel for these fish, not a click-n-pawl reel.

Thanks Mark Kranhold for sending me this.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Bill, not so about the reel. But to each their own opinion.

I like a click-n-pawl reel for all my Steelheading but when you are catching lots of fresh Silver salmon or big fresh Kings near the ocean I prefer a disc drag reel. You 'can' land them with a click-n-pawl reel..........
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Kiene semi-retired View Post
    I like a click-n-pawl reel for all my Steelheading but when you are catching lots of fresh Silver salmon or big fresh Kings near the ocean I prefer a disc drag reel. You 'can' land them with a click-n-pawl reel..........
    Bill,

I have all the different size super ABEL reels with the killer cork drag systems, However to be a little "sporty" I prefer to use my Abel click-n-pawl Hardy type reels. I would say more big King salmon have been landed over the years with click-n-pawl then any other types of reels. If you get in a bad situation you can always palm the rim.

I guess I am nuts I just love to hear a screaming reel as I am being pulled down the river in my pram My 2 cents

Carl Blackledge

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Blackledge View Post
    Bill,

I have all the different size super ABEL reels with the killer cork drag systems, However to be a little "sporty" I prefer to use my Abel click-n-pawl Hardy type reels. I would say more big King salmon have been landed over the years with click-n-pawl then any other types of reels. If you get in a bad situation you can always palm the rim.

I guess I am nuts I just love to hear a screaming reel as I am being pulled down the river in my pram My 2 cents

Carl Blackledge
    That's awesome stuff! I sure wish I could of experienced the days of all prams lined up in the estuaries up north seeing glass rods buckled over with Hardy and Pflueger reels a singing! I agree nothing like a click and pawl for steelhead! Depending on where your going for kings...let's just say the Dean. I could see the benifit for a disc drag on those fish since there probably one of the strongest fighting kings in the world especially above the falls, just for mortality rate. A disc drag you would be able to get them in quicker for the release and probably have less busted knuckles from a slip up here and there with a clicker, love clickers and that's how it was done back in the day!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Kranhold View Post
    That's awesome stuff! I sure wish I could of experienced the days of all prams lined up in the estuaries up north seeing glass rods buckled over with Hardy and Pflueger reels a singing! I agree nothing like a click and pawl for steelhead! Depending on where your going for kings...let's just say the Dean. I could see the benifit for a disc drag on those fish since there probably one of the strongest fighting kings in the world especially above the falls, just for mortality rate. A disc drag you would be able to get them in quicker for the release and probably have less busted knuckles from a slip up here and there with a clicker, love clickers and that's how it was done back in the day!
    Mark

In certain situations a good smooth drag can be a benefit especially if your fishing from shore and connected to a heavy fish, However when your fishing from a pram and you have a big net in one hand and your rod in the other any reel with the drag tightened down can be a real pain in the ass since I can't back off the drag fast enough with one hand to prevent the fish from breaking the 10-12 pound leaders we use. Also Kings like most fish when they are ready to be netted keep making these little mad dashes of 20-30 feet. So again the clicker reels just shine in those situations. Now when I use my super 11 Abel reels I have to back off on the drag when trying to net the fish and I hope I didn't back off too much on the drag, cause when the fish makes those little spurts he could very easily make the reel over run and cause a large bird's nest (ask me how I know) I'll take the American made Abel clicker every time over my cork disk drag Abel reels....It's just easier.

My 2 cents

Carl

So what about the fishing! I would recommend the subscription to Catch Magazine; only $12.00 a year with some awesome photography.