Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Keswick Resevoir?

Default Keswick Resevoir?

Any good fishing above Keswick Dam in the fall/winter before runoff. Boat ramps? While I'm at it, is the Sac from Redding down to Red Bluff safe for a small craft with a prop? It's got a rock gaurd but the boat is a Gheenoe. Basically a very wide square stern canoe fiberglass.

Do steelhead come up as far as Redding in the winter? What about Stripers?

If you do a search using the name Chip O'Brien and Keswick Dam you will come up with a couple of article that will give you all the info you need. There is an improved boat ramp on Keswick.

As to the Lower Sac being safe, it depends on your abilities, it is a swift cold river so it can be dangerous. I'm not sure I would want to do the Lower Sac in a canoe but that is me and it is floated by drift boats.

I have heard of stripers being caught in Redding. If you want to target stripers you would probably do better south of Red Bluff.
    There are steelhead throughout the Lower Sac the problem is distinguishing the large rainbows from the steelhead if they are not fin clipped. Hope this helps a little.

Some good info in those articles. I'll be in the area during the low flow time of year so thinking I'll leave my boat in Idaho and wade. Keswick Dam, from the way O'Brian describes it, might be best left to the younger guys that know the area. Thanks for the lead to these articles.

Default Keswick

About ten years ago there was talk about guys doing a float on Keswick in float tubes. Then I heard that security had been tightened because of Shasta dam which blocked the access points. I never tried it in a float tube but when I had my boat I went a couple of times with no luck.

The Lower Sac is starting to drop so it will get good in few weeks for wading. When you get closer to your trip PM me and I will get you the latest conditions and some ideas where to fish. When will you be in the area?

Plan is to depart Idaho mid to late October. Visit friends in Nevada on the way and then on to Redding, so maybe first week in November. Not sure yet where we are going to set up the RV for the stay but thinking Mountain Gate RV Resort. Looking at a mobile/RV in Bend as a possibility too. That park is right on the river but not sure what the fishing is like in that stretch.

I remember the article you mentioned and thinking that it would be interesting. I'll be in touch. Thanks!!
    Last edited by Idadon; 09-13-2016 at 08:05 AM.

Lower Sac would be fine for your Ghenoe, in fact, a motor would help you get back to top of a run to drift again. (you will see drift boats with small motors doing just that).

There are not any major rapids from Redding to Red Bulff and the river is wide enough that you can slide through the sides of any fast water.

Lots of people float the Lower sac it in pontoons , inflatable kayaks & canoes. I have fished it several times in my Watermaster Kodiak and in July I saw a group of Boy Scouts in 9 canoes who said they were on a multi-day float.

Your Ghenoe (with an electric motor) would be a good boat for the Fall River & Baum Lake also.

Thanks JayDub. Looks like I'm committed to Redding this winter and was really hoping my Gheenoe would work. I think it's coming even if all I use it for is whiskey town and such.

1st week of November I'd park the boat in Redding and hit the Trinity for steelhead. 45 min drive.

Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

A trip or trips to the Trinity is definitely on my list. Hoping to explore as far down as Willow Creek. Just have to see how my time goes. Of course there is the weather issue. Up here on the Snake the water Gurus are drawing down the big reservoirs to mud puddle size. That might mean they are expecting a bad winter and our bad weather usually comes up via Northern California. Palisades, the big feed for the South Fork is already down to 10% of pool. That usually results in very low flows over the winter and the South Fork becomes a really nice River to wade at 800cfs.