Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Pram Trailer

Default My Pram Trailer

Just finished putting my Harbour Freight trailer together. I see a couple problems but not big problems - I hope
    The pram rides on the fenders and not down on the bed of the trailer, no big thing, I can build racks on each side to lift the pram off the fenders. Or take the fender off, then it might hit the tires. One other situation I have is the tow bar is not long enough or the pram is too far forward. From the very front edge of the pram to where the ball hitch is at is about 14" maybe. I'm just wondering will the pram hit the jeep when I make turns or make a turn to launch it. One solution, turn the pram around so the rear flat back is facing towards the car.
    Be much easier to launch facing that way.
    For those that have a small trailer like this, how did you rig it up so the pram or whatever doesn't ride the fenders. I also need to find the balance point to where I can place the pram.
    I'm open for suggestions and comments
    This is a really neat trailer, very light and I think it will be easy to tow.

Thanks for your help

Jay M

Oh, one other thing I hope they sell an adapter that goes from a 7 pole to a 4 plug in. Also, I need to check and see if the trailer connection on the Jeep is hot. What's the easiest way. Get a test, clip it to ground and touch each prong in the trailer plug

They make a 7 pine to 4 in adaptor. I use one for my utility trailer. Just about any Rv store like camping world will have them.

Default Pram Position....

Jay,.... You might want to rethink positioning the pram stern forward on your trailer. Seems like it would will limit your turning radius. The stern is squared and wider than the bow which is also slightly tapered. Just a thought....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

I'll have to hook the trailer up to the jeep and see how close is comes when I make a turn. I just saw an ad for Harbour Freight - now they have the 4' x 8' foldable trailer on sale this week, crap. I'll get this one to work, plus it fits in my garage a lot better, i think

You can get the trailer plug adapter at most auto parts stores or they can order it for you. I know NAPa has them and so does Walmart.

For the trailer neck being too short on clearance you can go see a metal fabricator or welder they can make up a receiver that is a little longer or you can just buy an adapter to lengthen the bar. Just google "trailer reciever extension".

When we put my friend's HF pram trailer together, we moved the axle back or forward about a foot (don't remember which direction). We also added 4x4s to to the top of the trailer to get the boat over the fenders.

Good luck,

Hey Jay,
    Build up with wood so the pram doesn't hit the fenders

Mark
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	portabote.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	93.6 KB 
ID:	12339

Here's my pram trailer with the pram balanced on it. It's shown without the trailer tongue bar. I just took it off and going to look around Fresno to find a fabricator and see how much it would cost to add a 24" piece or if they sell the material I'll do it myself except I'll have to bolt it on and then drill new holes for the trailer hitch.
    But fish I'm going to scan the internet for trailer receiver extensions, like suggested, could be a cheaper way to go

thanks

Jay

I can guarantee that a receiver extension will be the cheapest way to go, unless you've got somebody that will do the trailer mod labor for free. Receiver extensions are cheap and available in a variety of lengths.

I would suggest using these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 to connect the receiver pieces, unless you don't care about those connections rattling. I use these on both of my vehicles so that my hitches don't rattle.