Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nymphing rod advice

Default Nymphing rod advice

Looking to buy a 10' 4 weight that will work well for high-stick/euro nymphing, indo rigs, and is able to cast a dry fly when the opportunity presents itself. Does anyone have experience with either the TFO BVK or the Echo Shadow II? Looking to keep it reasonably priced.

Thanks in advance for any tips.
    -Chris

Chris,
    I have not used the Shadow II, but I have an Echo Shadow PE in 10ft, 3wt that I have used for 3 years. I love it for subsurface and have used on occasion for dry fly. It is stiff at the bottom and light at tip which is great for feeling the tug but strong enough to handle large fish. I am able to easily cast farther than is needed for subsurface fishing. While it slings an indicator setup well, it really is a joy in tight line fishing. Soft tip casts dries well.

3 years ago, I found a lot of variation in the long, light rods, seemingly more than in other rods (or that is how I remember it 3 years later.) I found the Echo a little faster and the tip softer than the TFO- basically the Echo fit my style.

Here are some thoughts for you:
    1) Shadow PE was the most accurate (of the rods I tested 3 years ago!). Someone here probably has a good explanation, but to me some of the long rods with light tips are susceptible to "tip wobble" which destroys accuracy. Not all my on-water casts are perfect form and I feel the Shadow PE does not magnify my inconsistencies.

2) Reel weight is critical on a long, light rod. For me, the Lamson Velocity Hard Alox II in 2.0 size provides the best weight & balance match.

3) I find it casts best with a 5wt WF line, but I like a 3wt line when slinging an indicator. For the reviews I read 3 years ago, many stated that all the Echo Shadow PE rods were really 1-2 wts more.
    Last edited by JayDubP; 09-24-2016 at 08:57 AM.

Thanks for all the great info. Echo makes a 10' 3 weight and a 10'6" 4 weight and the TFO model is 10'. This rod would mostly be for tight line type nymphing on rivers like the Pit, Truckee, and where possible on the Yuba (where I spend most of my time trout fishing).

Great call on making sure the reel balances the rod out also, I'll make sure to find one that works best with the rod I choose.

Just to mix it up, I'd take a look at the Cortland (yes, Cortland) Competition rods. Great rods at a great price: http://www.cortlandline.com/accessor...petition-rods/

Edit:

Here's a review http://info.bluequillangler.com/blog...-Euro-Nymphing

And here: http://www.tacticalflyfisherman.com/...ion-nymph.html
    Last edited by Mr F; 09-13-2016 at 04:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr F View Post
    Just to mix it up, I'd take a look at the Cortland (yes, Cortland) Competition rods. Great rods at a great price: http://www.cortlandline.com/accessor...petition-rods/
    Paging Gregg as I think his better half has one of these rods and is generally quite happy with it... If memory serves me correctly she has the 10-6 4wt.

Orvis "Clearwater" - 10' #4 - 4pc = $198.00

TFO "BVK" - 10' #4 - 4pc = $274.95

Echo "Shadow II" - 10' #2, 10' #3, 10'6" #4 all in 4 pc = $249.00
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Just putting it out there.... Sage ESN rods are now discontinued and on sale. You can also find these rods on Ebay or on classified listings. I just picked up a 11' for 3 wt version that was listed here and I'm thrilled with it.

Quote Originally Posted by drdan View Post
    Just putting it out there.... Sage ESN rods are now discontinued and on sale. You can also find these rods on Ebay or on classified listings. I just picked up a 11' for 3 wt version that was listed here and I'm thrilled with it.
    I too can rave about the ESN....
    It isn't the all around rod though.
    Tight line nymphing you want a softer sensitive tip.....
    Not recommended for bigger bobber use, but will huck a light set up.
    And boy....can it throw a dry...
    I have the 11ft 3wt....
    Perfect for the T.

Jim
    Bigfly guide service helping fly fishers since 2002.
    Truckee river and Northern California waters.
    https://bigflyguideservice.wordpress.com//

For best results, fish on the fish's schedule, not yours....

BF

Quote Originally Posted by bigfly View Post
    I too can rave about the ESN....
    It isn't the all around rod though.
    Tight line nymphing you want a softer sensitive tip.....
    Not recommended for bigger bobber use, but will huck a light set up.
    And boy....can it throw a dry...
    I have the 11ft 3wt....
    Perfect for the T.

Jim
    Agree big fly.

I graduated from the TFO BVK a few years ago to the SAGE ESN 10' 4wt. Great Big T stick. If you can find one for 350-400 or so on eBay I would look. But I only high stick with it on bigger water and rarely with the bobber. I carry a Scott G2 for throwing dries.

I have been fishing Echo Shadow II 3 wt. I love it. I find it superior to any other Euro style rod. I have used it with indicators, even steamers for "dip and strip". The tip action remains the star in this category. Why pay double dollars for a rod that may questionably compare. Some people just need the name on their "tools" not me. Been fishing Tim's rods for along time find them to be awesome as he is.