Thread: High Country Trout Report!

Default High Country Trout Report!

For the past 5-6 years I have packed into the Emigrant Wilderness, with horse and mule, finding some of the best fly fishing and beautiful country our state (maybe our country) has to offer!

First, I want to thank Bill Kiene for starting me on a "trip quest". Many years ago, Bill suggested that I shouldn't wait to make special "bucket list" trips. Bill also punctuated his statement by mentioning a number of friends that waited until they retired, to START making big trips, and then, once retired, were not able to physically make many of the trips. Since that first trip with Bill, some 12 years ago, I have made dozens of trips from Honduras to Mexico, to the Bahamas, to Alaska!

Thank you, Bill!

...now my report.
    Anyway, this last trip took me to the very end of the Emigrant Wilderness, nestled up against the Yosemite Park, and proved to be some of the most beautiful country and best trout fishing, I have ever seen!
    Yes, it took a long horseback ride....yes, my legs were screaming when I arrived.....yes, it required great effort! But the rewards were incredible!

6 of us packed 21 miles into Huckleberry Lake and the trout fishing was epic! These fish were mostly rainbows, and they were eating dry flies, almost all day long! I can't remember better dry fly action for big 14-17" fish, with a few larger.

For the price of a guide, for one day, you can ride a horse and pack a mule, with a week of provisions (and float tube), into perhaps the best fly fishing on the planet! And to think this was only 4 1/2 hours from my house, starting at Kennedy Meadows.

For more pictures and more of "the story", check out my blog report: www.leehaskin.blogspot.com

Cheers,
    Lee Haskin
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Big rainbow web AAA.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	90.8 KB 
ID:	12319   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lee and big bow web AAA.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	98.2 KB 
ID:	12320   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Magnificant Domes in the Emigrant Wilderness web AAA.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	100.4 KB 
ID:	12321   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	More domes web AAA.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	95.0 KB 
ID:	12322   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Morning on the lake 2 AAA web.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	78.5 KB 
ID:	12323  

Great report, Lee!

We did the same trip out of Kennedy Mdws first week of August, but only as far as Emigrant Lake. Not sure I could've handled an additional 6 miles on the horse to Huckleberry! Ouch!

Looks like the fishing at Huckleberry is just as good if not better than Emigrant Lake. And by the looks of your pictures, definitely not as windy!

Thanks for posting. Looking forward to returning next year. Horsepacking is definitely the way to go, if you're doing a long trip.....if you can take the sore ass and rattled knees.

~Jeff

Hi Jeff,

We have fished Emigrant the last 3 years, and I think the rainbows might average a bit larger there than at Huckleberry.
    However, Huckleberry is more interesting, with regard to lake topography, and more interesting to fish. IMHO.
    Considerably more fish at Huckleberry too, and we saw only 2 other backpackers as well. Kennedy Meadows does have a "high camp" at Huckleberry for part of the summer, but they had finished for the season.
    Jeff, the additional 6 miles was a killer. If you recall, you drop from about 9,500 ft. to 8,900 ft. at Emigrant. You climb back up to maybe 9,200 ft. and then drop to 7,800 ft.!!! This drop is almost straight down, and you are hanging on for dear life!
    Yes, it takes a lot of effort to find quality fishing and solitude.

That said, I can't wait to go back! It was worth all the pain and suffering. We are also looking into a pack trip in the Trinity Alps, sometime in the future. At my age, I realize my "pack years" are probably few, but I want to make the most out of it all, as long as I can. Hopefully, I can introduce my grandkids to this country, someday.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Big spotted bow aaa web.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	101.6 KB 
ID:	12324   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dans 18 inch brook trout web AAA.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	101.4 KB 
ID:	12325   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nate on the dry 1 web AAA.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	94.8 KB 
ID:	12326   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nate on the dry 2 web AAA.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	92.6 KB 
ID:	12327   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sneaking up on a big bank feeder web AAA.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	100.6 KB 
ID:	12328