Thread: Xink; nymphs/steamers,line sink....anyone use it? I'm concerned about the chemicals

Default Xink; nymphs/steamers,line sink....anyone use it? I'm concerned about the chemicals

I've been checking out the "XINK" fly/sinking product, it's suppose to eliminate the use of conventional split shots/lead. Being a big nymph flyfisher I'm thinking about giving it a try.

It sure would be a charm if I didn't have to use my present weight system(Dinsmore egg shots) and just apply this stuff..... and as the product suggest get a "more natural drift,eliminating the un-natural weight".

Also the chemicals left in the water are a BIG concern for me.....

It seems to me the pros would be a more natural drift and of course less snags, probably even less wind knots. Thoughts?

Thanks,

Bob

Not sure who told you Xink will eliminate the need for split shot, especially now that George Gerke is gone (the hyperbole sounds just like him), but that is a gross exaggeration.

As far as chemicals goes, yes, it has those. Not sure why this would be an issue considering the quantities involved, but to each his own.

Should be able to get pretty much the same effect by rubbing your nymphs in the mud for a bit before fishing, however.
    -JD

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Should be able to get pretty much the same effect by rubbing your nymphs in the mud for a bit before fishing, however.
    Agreed. I tried Xink. Didn't help my catch rate.

If you're over using split shot try tungsten putty. Mojo Mud is nice if you can find it.

No....NOT over using split shot, just thought there may be an alternative.....you never know now ah days with all the new fangle fancy stuff their inventing!

Sounds like I'll just stay using the ole proven method....why change if it ain't broken, right?

Thanks

Bob, Xink is a wetting agent to allow your tippet to break through the meniscus or surface tension.
    It prevents the shadow from your tippet from spooking fish. It's for dry fly fishing.
    Once through the surface tension mono won't continue to sink, but has no shadow.
    Snake river mud is better. Sprinkle a few drops of water on it the night before using......it's unusable as is....works great.
    Not enough chems in Xink to ruin your Karma or the environment. But doesn't work for more than a cast or two....
    If you want to be a good guy.....don't use lead shot. Dunmores are tin, and OK.....and still get down..........

Jim
    Last edited by bigfly; 09-07-2016 at 08:38 AM.
    Bigfly guide service helping fly fishers since 2002.
    Truckee river and Northern California waters.
    https://bigflyguideservice.wordpress.com//

For best results, fish on the fish's schedule, not yours....

BF

Good info Jim, thanks.......guess I'm a good guy(lol), haven't used lead in years. Dinsmore is good stuff, I like the egg shape plus the coating, also easy to pinch on & off!

Cheers,
    Bob

P.S.Gonna fish the East Walker Thurs - Saturday this week, wife & I are on a fly fishing / exploring birthday trip for me