Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Yvon Chouinard, founder of Patagonia, fishes one fly for a year?

Cyama, legends are made in La Quinta bathtubs. Thanks for the kind words.

Steve

So Steve....now that I have tipped my hat....I'd like to ask your considered opinion......on one fly?

Jim

Interesting...Is there a possible resurgence for soft-hackles?

I personally became enthralled with fishing soft-hackle flies after I purchased a signed edition of Sylvester Neme’s The Soft-Hackle Fly (1975). We spoke briefly when I purchased the book during the late-70’s at the ISE San Mateo show….now defunct.

I used soft-hackles a lot after building my first home in Truckee in ’79. So much so, that the most salient technique mentioned from my perspective to Stephen Rider Haggard for his 2002 Fly Fishing the Tahoe Region; I touted the method. When he wrote about the Truckee River he said:“…Frank Pisciotta, a local guide, tells his customers, if there’s one consistently successful method, its swinging soft-hackle wet flies, probably because emerging caddis are the most common item in a trout’s diet.”

I included soft-hackles in my spring 2002 essay in Northwest Fly Fishing entitled Truckee River CA…A Lesson in Patience:

“Simply put, the most prolific aquatic insect is the caddisfly. The most important are the Spotted Sedge and Green Sedge (Hydropsyche and Rhyacolphlia, respectively). …Be especially attentive to the emerging pupae. Avoid be esoteric and keep it simple. Think presentation, and use soft-hackles, such as size 14-16 Partridge & Green or Grouse & Peacock classics. Down and across is the preferred method.”

Frank R. Pisciotta

Quote Originally Posted by bigfly View Post
    So Steve....now that I have tipped my hat....I'd like to ask your considered opinion......on one fly?

Jim
    Sure. For what it's worth.