Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ocean (near shore) fishing for kelp bass and lings

Default Ocean (near shore) fishing for kelp bass and lings

Trying to get a price point for a guided day of near shore rock fishing off Marin, Sonoma coast.. First, is this something you would be interested in and how much would you pay? All gear and beautiful center console. I think $575.00 (2 rods) for 6 hrs is in line. Your thoughts are appreciated.

Last edited by GreggH; 08-30-2016 at 04:33 PM.
    The more people I meet, the more I love my dog.

Team Stinky Duck

Is it cheaper if you get to take your pants off?

Good for you Captain, that is a one of a kind deal.

I know the typical rate is roughly $495 for Delta or river floats so add the salt factor and your about $80 over what seems to be the going rate.

Considering you would almost have that market covered I would say anywhere from $500-$575. Whats your cost vs expense fuel etc.. Try and line it up where you can make it worth while for yourself and others.

Good luck buddy hope this comes together for you.

I have no problem with a "clothing opitional" trip but the rate will be the same and I will not apply sun screen to sensitive area's. Unless of course, she ask.

Team Stinky Duck

Sense of humor is an important quality in a guide. I'd book with you. Kelp bass look look like fun too among with any excuse to spend a day on the Marin coast.

Paul & Dave thanks for responding to my request, even if I had to pay David to do so, I appreciate it. I believe over 100 people have seen this and either they won't ocean fish or simply have no thoughts. I can use your help on this guys and need solid feed back, any and all ideas are appreciated. This will have all the feel of a destination/ travel trip that's affordable and fits your schedule.
    Last edited by GreggH; 08-31-2016 at 10:07 AM. Reason: None

Team Stinky Duck

I’ve always wanted to do some near-shore ocean fishing. I think it’s a pretty cool flyrod fishery and you’ve got that dialed in.
    Lack of knowledge on where to go, gear to use, what to do and most importantly under what ocean conditions have been major roadblocks for me. I know I can just wing it like what I did when I first started out in the Delta, but the Pacific is nothing to fool around with. A guide can certainly eliminate all of those roadblocks for me.
    As far as price, I think it’s fair. And I think you’d fill a nice niche in that fishery. I don’t recall seeing or hearing of any near-shore flyfishing guides in Norcal.

Oh, and what if ‘you’ take your pants off? Will there be a discount? I seem to remember some photographic proof of that floating around the interwebs somewhere. LOL

And make sure to bring your trusty deckhand along:

' You have TP for my bunghole?' - Beavis

Hi,
    My comparison would be a four pack boat that fishes in the bay/coast. The one (Nor Cal sportfishing) I saw charges $600 for the day which might be 8 hours. I think your rate is fine.

Mark

I was talking with someone at the shop once who belonged to a little fly club near Monterey, CA who said they float tubed the kelp fields in the fall in their area for rock fish.

Do people keep the fish? or catch-n-release?

Do you fillet them?

Where do you launch out of?

Do you supply the tackle?

Do you use stripping buckets?

What time of year do you offer this?

Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Hey Bill,

Yes, we will be keeping some of the rock fish, as you know they make excellent table fare. ( April 15 -Dec 31) I will NOT be filling limits and yes I will process the fish. My Steiger Craft 21 will be pulled up and down the coast, Delta and Bay but my home ocean port is Bodega Bay. We will provide all fly gear and stripping buckets. I will be guiding for stripers in all your old favorite spots from Red Rock, Marin Islands to the Berkley flats as well. Bill, I want you on board as my guest asap. You and a friend tell me where you'd like to fish and Ill make it happen.

Regards, Gregg C 707-567-1509

Team Stinky Duck

I'd bite. It would be a blast to learn a new fishery that's a short trip from Berkeley.