Thread: Swinging flies for Salmon on the sacramento

Default Swinging flies for Salmon on the sacramento

I wanted to now if anyone has ever tried swinging for salmon on the sacramento river. I know there are a few beaches that would allow you to wade but i wanted to know if any ones had luck. Or should i just stick to the american?

Thanks

Question Swinging Flies on the Sacto....???

Given the length of the Sacramento River, the question is too broad. Some parts of the Sacramento lend themselves to swinging flies for Salmon. Locally, the river is so deep/wide, filled with snags and very turbid. Not saying it can't be done but it'd be a tough proposition from shore. I've thought about trying it from my Bass boat.... If I were to try locally from the boat, it would be while drifting in the area from Miller park down to just below Garcia bend, concentrating on any eddy I could find.

If given a choice, I would drift in the area from just below the Red Bluff Diversion dam down to Los Molinos. Launch at the ramp near the dam and drift down through Blackberry Riffle below which are some pools/runs. I've taken Salmon on the fly in that area years ago. Problem is that you'll have to drift until you find a public ramp to take the boat out. There're lots of ramps around there but most are privately owned and almost all of the land along that section of river is private.

Lots of places further up-river, also.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown