Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coalition for a Sustainable Delta bails out on their Reg change proposal

Default Coalition for a Sustainable Delta bails out on their Reg change proposal

Well, The Allied Fishing Groups and the Golden Gate Salmon Association have won another fight in the war against our fisheries!!!

There is no need to go to the The California Fish and Game Commission meeting set for this Thursday (the 25th)! The Commission has announced the that the Coalition for Sustainable Delta, California Chamber of Commerce, California Farm Bureau Federation, Kern County Water Agency, Metropolitan Water District of Southern California, Northern California Water Association, San Joaquin Tributaries Authority, Southern California Water Committee, State Water Contractors, and Western Growers have withdrawn their petition number 2016-011 (striped and black bass regulations).

This effort to change regulations has died! Be braced for the next effort by the water contractors though...
    Mike

Wow!

I was frustrated by the nebulous agenda and figured it was a ploy to confuse everyone.

No doubt there will be future attempts to destroy any and all opposition to the so-called Coalition for a Sustainable Delta.

Perhaps this is a diversionary tactic to distract attention away from another proposal on the agenda? Another spearfishing proposals?

Mike,

Great news. I had just e-mailed my 5 letters to the commission last night and reviewed my testimony from last time, getting prepared.

Barry
    Doublehaulin' for Stripers

I believe it is as I suggested last month.

When the CFSD added black bass to the mix, it was met with an iron fist/wall of tournament bass pros who are more famous and more rich than even the Resnicks...

At that point, it was dead in the water as CDFW finally had to answer to the constituency it is was created to serve...

ANGLERS

Quote Originally Posted by STEELIES/26c3 View Post

When the CFSD added black bass to the mix, it was met with an iron fist/wall of tournament bass pros who are more famous and more rich than even the Resnicks...

At that point, it was dead in the water as CDFW finally had to answer to the constituency it is was created to serve...

ANGLERS
    An interesting point, 26c3!

Quote Originally Posted by STEELIES/26c3 View Post

ANGLERS
    I'd be very interested to know how much influence the bass fishing segment had/has with the decision. I do know there was a recent push in the community, but it's hard to judge just how much actual response it gets. Maybe Mike knows?

Anyway, appreciate all the folks who work so hard to fight these battles. Thank you!

briansII

Quote Originally Posted by briansII View Post
    I'd be very interested to know how much influence the bass fishing segment had/has with the decision. I do know there was a recent push in the community, but it's hard to judge just how much actual response it gets. Maybe Mike knows?

Anyway, appreciate all the folks who work so hard to fight these battles. Thank you!

briansII
    Brian,
    The proposal was never heard by the Commission. The water contractors pulled their request before it was heard. I have no idea how big the response from the Black Bass fishing community was specifically (I would think that it was very large) as there was a huge response from the angling, boating and marina communities at large, completely against the proposal. I do know that the publication that the Allied Fishing Groups included in their letter to the Commission (http://escholarship.org/uc/item/9rw9b5tj#page-1) was a factor in the decision by the water contractors to pull their request for the reg. change. It put a stop to their phoney science that they were using to promote their reg. change proposal. We won another round in the fight but there's no doubt they'll be back!

Mike

Thanks Mike. I'm sure it would be difficult determining which segment of the community is more involved than another. Not sure that it matters all that much as long as the groups come together like they did, and do.

Much thanks to you for all the time and effort you put into this.

briansII

I do know that the publication that the Allied Fishing Groups included in their letter to the Commission (http://escholarship.org/uc/item/9rw9b5tj#page-1) was a factor in the decision by the water contractors to pull their request for the reg. change.
    Haha, very interesting...

Darian posted that predation article on this board a few weeks back and he and I, in a roundabout way, concluded that it might actually undermine the CSD attempts to convince the CDFG Commission to change the regulations...

And yes Mike, one fire extinguished... but flare ups are expected to reignite soon and often...

Thanks to all of my fellow anglers/citizens who stay informed and involved~

I wish we could rally like tha for better water management better fish management.