Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: American Flow Forecast?

Quote Originally Posted by Sheepdog8404 View Post
    Eric,

That was about the same time I was fishing too. Fished until I couldn't stand the uncomfortable feeling of my truck being broken into the darker it got. Fish all around me. A solid 16" Steelies came completely out of the water abiut 2 rod lengths away from me. I kept casting to him but no dice. I agree that the floating lines are much nicer to cast. I'll take a super mega ultra fast sinking poly over a skagit with T11 and an intruder any day though!
    Hey SD,

I was feeling the same...always worried some tweaker is gonna bust in my car. I don't leave anything inside,
    but the thought of a broken window makes me a bit paranoid since it's happened often enough to people
    on this board. I made my way back to my car when it was still light enough to see.

I hate it when they rise right next to you! I'm gonna give it another go this w/e. Perhaps I'll bust out
    the fast sinking poly leader.

Eric

I like the evening Caddis hatch, but one problem I have is tearing myself away from the water (during peak action) before the park gate closes (which is usually sunset). Any advice on solving this problem besides rolling the dice and hoping the park guard is late/forgiving?

William Pond looks like it closes at 8:30, so maybe that's the best bet. I used to park just outside the entrance Goethe/Riverbend and take the trail down past the orchard but I think the road is redesigned there now and there's some intimidating signage. I also like Hagan, but couldn't find online what time that park closes. Pretty sure Hazel and Sunrise both close at sunset.

PM's OK if you prefer.
    TroutSource.com
    we deliver the river

I think the best option to prevent getting locked in the park is to park somewhere outside the gate and hike or walk in. Probably less chances of your vehicle getting broken into if it's parked in front of people's houses on a lighted street rather than under a big oak tree in the way back corner of the parkway. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Sheepdog8404 View Post
    I think the best option to prevent getting locked in the park is to park somewhere outside the gate and hike or walk in. Probably less chances of your vehicle getting broken into if it's parked in front of people's houses on a lighted street rather than under a big oak tree in the way back corner of the parkway. Lol
    Very true, and that's what I prefer since I got cleaned out years ago at a river parking lot. The problem is more and more neighborhoods along the parkway are having no parking signs put up. I believe the main reason is the county is enforcing it to bring more money to the parkway for parking fees, but I'm sure the niehborhoods appreciate it for parking for freinds and family especially during the summer months. Just wish they would have more security along the parkway with the extra revenue they are bringing in now with parking fees.

I like the evening Caddis hatch, but one problem I have is tearing myself away from the water (during peak action) before the park gate closes (which is usually sunset). Any advice on solving this problem besides rolling the dice and hoping the park guard is late/forgiving?

William Pond looks like it closes at 8:30, so maybe that's the best bet. I used to park just outside the entrance Goethe/Riverbend and take the trail down past the orchard but I think the road is redesigned there now and there's some intimidating signage. I also like Hagan, but couldn't find online what time that park closes. Pretty sure Hazel and Sunrise both close at sunset.

PM's OK if you prefer.
    For nearly each and every park access within the parkway, there is at least 1 if not more adjacent accesses NOT within the park.

I have bought a yearly pass for at least 20 years in a row and I still choose to park OUTSIDE the parkway in the afternoon 50% of the time.

You have to decide your priorities... mine are; fishing optimal times, catching fish, keeping my property safe, getting some extra exercise... so it works out well.

I took everyone's advice and parked in an adjacent parking lot yesterday evening -- maybe 100 yards outside the park which closes at dark. My problem is that I'm usually so impatient I -- illogically -- avoid looking around outside the parks.

I fished for 1.5 hours yesterday and caught one little smolt on a dry caddis, with a bunch of little hits on that fly and some small beadheads, plus a squawfish on a caddis pupa. I saw some micromayflies coming off (not tricos), plus some dry caddis that the fish were clearly hitting. I didn't find a pod of caddis with fish cluster going nuts on the surface like I used to -- just some floating flies. I probably had more hits actually swinging the dry caddis at the end of my cast (simulates a pupa?) than dead drifting it. So basically I caught crap, but it was nice to be on the river.

The water was colder than I expected -- seems colder than last year. Hardly any algae or other aquatic bloom -- especially compared to last year.

Saw a deer crossing about 20 feet from me. Caught the tail end of the rafter hatch. Didn't see any salmon. Only one other person on the water -- a lone gear fisherman in the slot where I thought the guys would be combat fishing.

This exciting fishing report is now complete.
    TroutSource.com
    we deliver the river