Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: American Flow Forecast?

Porbably a noob question here... but do you guys know how the fish (Salmon and Steelhead alike) take to a slight ramp down as far as feeding goes? For instance, I was planning on hitting the water early tomorrow morning which looks like it will be right after the water drops to 1750. Is it even worth going now? Or will that decrease in flow put the fish down?

250 cfs isn't a significant enough fluctuation imo.

If anything, it may cause the fish to move and/or hold elsewhere.

Go fish~

Quote Originally Posted by Sheepdog8404 View Post
    Porbably a noob question here... but do you guys know how the fish (Salmon and Steelhead alike) take to a slight ramp down as far as feeding goes?
    Salmon aren't feeding in freshwater anymore they are over that.

I think steel do *bite* less after a significant change in flows from an upstream dam, give them a day to adjust and it's back on. Like 26c3 says, 250 aint much though.

Good luck,

Went out tonight for a couple hours. Had fish boiling all around d me in a super juicy run... couldn't manage to get em to bump a fly. The obsession begins!

Sheepdog, When I first fished the American, I would always go in the evening and have the same experience as you. However, I was able to finally catch some fish when I switched from a dry caddis to swinging and/or drifting a caddis pupa near the surface. There were caddis all over the place, so I knew that's what they were hitting. You may want to give it a shot.
    TroutSource.com
    we deliver the river

I was swinging a small undertaker right after the sunset and just KNEW that I was going to get a fish. I kept telling myself to put on an intermediate poly leader and swing a caddis, just like you've stated, but my other personality argued to just stick with the Undertaker and the fast sinking poly because "that's what steelhead eat in low light"... lol next time I'm definitely going for the caddis just below the surface!

Hey Sheepdog,

I was out last night too...from around 6pm to dusk. Didn't see any risers like you,
    but had one subtle take but no hookup. I thought there just has to be more fish
    in these sweet runs! Skunk #2 under the belt.

I was swinging a couple caddis, black woolie's and a sculpin pattern.

The water wasn't super deep, but next time I'll throw on my super duper fast
    sink poly leader...just not very fun to cast. Swinging a floating line is so
    much nicer!

Eric

Eric,

That was about the same time I was fishing too. Fished until I couldn't stand the uncomfortable feeling of my truck being broken into the darker it got. Fish all around me. A solid 16" Steelies came completely out of the water abiut 2 rod lengths away from me. I kept casting to him but no dice. I agree that the floating lines are much nicer to cast. I'll take a super mega ultra fast sinking poly over a skagit with T11 and an intruder any day though!

I think going down does not effect our Fall Half-pounder Steelhead as much as going up does.

At different times in the fall in past years Andy Guibord and I both had a great day on the river when they lowered the water quit a bit.

In the evening the water was shallower and maybe warmed up some and the caddis were coming off like crazy for both of us.

Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Dropping water is always good, especially when it becomes the winter game.