Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lower Klamath R

Quote Originally Posted by Digger View Post
    Increased flows on the Trinity are on the way, temps at Hoopa shown
    unfortunately air temps inland remain above 90 all week
    Man that is really warm for salmon.

Thanks, Digger,

On my original post I forgot to state that on the last morning at first light we found a dime bright salmon on the bank below Blue Creek. Upon investigation, we saw evidence of gill rot. Pictures were taken and sent to the tribe to try and get the increase in flows started earlier. Fortunately, there doesn't seem to be a lot of salmon in the system, however, the conditions are in place for another potential die off.

Every year at this time we go through this scenario.
    I am surprised though that the fishery has been given somewhat of a priority.
    Even as the reservoirs have been depleted in this drought, flows were increased the last couple years.
    Tough decisions over a precious commodity. Demands from too many needs.

As anglers we see a pretty straight forward, perhaps myopic resolution.
    For us, no flows = no fish. If it were only that simple.

The good news is Lewiston releases are now going to 1250 by the weekend.
    Iron Gate is cutting back, perhaps that's good since that is warm water.
    Last edited by Digger; 08-25-2016 at 07:48 AM.
    Steelhead gear = $6287, no of adults caught = 3, amortized cost = $2,095.67, beaching that 30" fish and letting it go = priceless

Quote Originally Posted by Digger View Post
    Every year at this time we go through this scenario.
    I am surprised though that the fishery has been given somewhat of a priority.
    Even as the reservoirs have been depleted in this drought, flows were increased the last couple years.
    Tough decisions over a precious commodity. Demands from too many needs.

As anglers we see a pretty straight forward, perhaps myopic resolution.
    For us, no flows = no fish. If it were only that simple.

The good news is Lewiston releases are now going to 1250 by the weekend.
    Iron Gate is cutting back, perhaps that's good since that is warm water.

Only problem with too many "demands" is most are for self greed. Like setting up farms in the DESERT and expecting your farm to flourish.

Agree, but the govmnnt helped create such visions?

But a bigger view of all the issues that affect water uses, I think shows that we are all somewhat responsible.
    ag industry gives us food year round, raising cattle, etc, etc.

Try and catch "Killing the Colorado" on Discovery channel if you can
    Steelhead gear = $6287, no of adults caught = 3, amortized cost = $2,095.67, beaching that 30" fish and letting it go = priceless

Default Klamath should have been better but...

I just returned from 3 days of fishing from Weitchpec down to the end of the road at Johnsons/Pecwan with a number of guys and it was terrible! Worst ever! Granted, it was early but we usually catch fish including some of those big "summer steelhead" that start to show in July. The temps had been as high as 75 mouth of Trinity and 75 on there K, but by Sunday the temps were getting right with the release of col water from Trinity starting on Thursday the 25th. (1300 cfs) I thought of sure that would kick things into gear but no dice.

To complicate matters, some wacko lit three fires just up the ridge from the Martin's Ferry Bridge so they closed the road from there down off and on for the entire time. Driving down to the lower river meant dodging fire trucks and Cal Fire folks... not to mention the "Road Closed" signs. The fire was all but out Sunday night and they started pulling crews out, but then on Sunday night the wind howled and I think the fire came back.

By yesterday morning I'd had enough but decided to drive over the hill to Requa to see what was happening. First I went to Blake's Riffle and talked with 3 guys who had 1 14" HP between them after a morning's fishing. Not inspired by that news I drove out to the spit to see what was happening. Ideally the mouth would blow straight out, but now it is this 300 yard long ribbon about 20 yards wide that goes way down the beach and pops out near the rocks on the far end of the south side. The water was really rolling and lots and lots of fish were entering! Sea lions were getting fish just off the mouth in the ocean while others were in the channel/gauntlet nailing the occasional fish. We stood on the high banks and watched tons of fish swim by in the shallower water just under us. After three days of NADA it was interesting, and nobody else was there! It looked possible to get down into the channel some 10 feet below and fish from the side, but any fish hooked would have been nailed by a sea lion. More importantly, it looked entirely possible that with one false step or a sand bank collapse you would be washed to your death out the mouth and drowned. Or, into the mouth of Lord knows what. There were two orcas reportedly seen on Thursday. In any event, I was spent and drove home.

It probably went crazy last night!

friggin fat ass mammals

I would guess they may have shot up to Blue Creek and are holding there until it cools some more.

Temps now are at about 70 or just below at the lower River
    farther up on the Trinity at Hoopa, temps dropped to mid-60's
    BOR says Lewiston will continue to dump water until early/mid Sept depending on conditions

I guess there was no one there because the quota for adult salmon has been met from the mouth to the 96 bridge. Those fish are looking to get up river and not taking a fly or bead. They are being "flosed" on their way up. The wardens agree, but there is nothing they can do because they are snagged in the mouth, my opinion as well.
    Last edited by Terry Thomas; 08-31-2016 at 07:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by NCL View Post
    I was in the camp above where the lion came out. Saturday evening I actually caught 5 or 6 small shad but that was it for my catching rate.
    I'm interested to hear about these shad. Do you think they were spawned out adults, or perhaps immature fish? It seems that catching shad on the Klamath is pretty rare, even though they've been reported from that river for years....

Klamath River flows and temps....

Iron Gate Dam = 890cfs

Seiad Valley = 1030cfs

Orleans = 1560cfs - 70.9 degrees

At Klamath near the mouth = 2830cfs - 70.5 degrees

Our Klamath River info page:

http://www.kiene.com/portfolio-view/klamath-river/

Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor