Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lower Klamath R

Quote Originally Posted by Alosa View Post
    I'm interested to hear about these shad. Do you think they were spawned out adults, or perhaps immature fish? It seems that catching shad on the Klamath is pretty rare, even though they've been reported from that river for years....
    The fish I landed were all cookie cutter size of about 6 to 8 inches. In addition to the fish landed I had a number of hits that I would attribute to the same fish. I would say the fish I saw were immature fish.

Quote Originally Posted by NCL View Post
    The fish I landed were all cookie cutter size of about 6 to 8 inches. In addition to the fish landed I had a number of hits that I would attribute to the same fish. I would say the fish I saw were immature fish.
    Thanks. Sounds like last years spawn that have 'held-over' in the river. I'm guessing you were down low in the river and close to the estuary, right? They've been caugth as far up as Ishi Pishi Falls, but I've tried getting them up there (for research purposes with the blessing of the Karuk tribe) but with no luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Alosa View Post
    Thanks. Sounds like last years spawn that have 'held-over' in the river. I'm guessing you were down low in the river and close to the estuary, right? They've been caugth as far up as Ishi Pishi Falls, but I've tried getting them up there (for research purposes with the blessing of the Karuk tribe) but with no luck.
    I'm not that familiar with the river but I think the guide said it was McCoy's. I would guesstimate we were 5 or 6 miles above the boat ramp

Last year after spending the entire season on the river we very clearly noticed changes from previous seasons. There was almost a total lack of our half pounders. They generally come earlier and follow kings. With the poor king run it was really no surprise. There was still some epic fishing, but nothing compared to 2013

Temps in the river have dropped into 60's at this point and
    Looks like flows out of Lewiston are being cut back as BOR said they would.
    At least if the weather doesn't get to awful hot, the Klamath & Trinity
    Should be in decent shape soon.
    Steelhead gear = $6287, no of adults caught = 3, amortized cost = $2,095.67, beaching that 30" fish and letting it go = priceless

I think Terry Thomas might be heading up there again soon.

Flow near mouth is 3,100cfs and temp is 66.6 degrees

Terry said Half-pounders ere finally spread out.

Salmon were closed.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Need advise Bill. Have a trip planned for the Klamath for salmon in a month. First trip for my wife and my buddies wife. I thought they would enjoy the float. My guide just called and said trolling in the brackish water near the mouth of the Eel might be better since the Klamath is having so many problems...or we can move the trip toward the end of October. Any suggestions? Appreciate the help..

You have read that the salmon quota has been filled from the mouth to the 96 bridge. However, you can still keep two jacks and hatchery steelhead.

Terry:
    From your report doesn't it seem a bit too warm to be catching and releasing wild steelhead on the Klamath?
    Craig Nielsen

Craig
    The water temps on our last trip were in the mid 60's.