Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pram for sale......

Thanks Doug, just what I needed. But with my bad knees trying to get in and out could be a problem.
    I was just looking at one of those Harbour Freight trailers that was mentioned a few posts up. I've read some reviews and the people seemed to like them. I looked at the flat bed ones and thought about putting two 2"x4" for a track and then some eye bolts
    to hook the straps on to. Then I saw the boat trailer. I might be a little long for my 8' pram. Damn, now i'm not sure what I want... Sell the pram, buy a flat bed trailer of the boat trailer. I'm sure my jeep grand cherokee could tow that. What's the regulations on a license. If you can see the tail lights on the car then a license isn't needed. I'm not sure

Neither new or improved, but now in Redmond OR

Well Jay,
    That's probably a good dilemma to have because you win any way you go. Nice thing about a little flat bed trailer is you can use it for a lot of things especially if you don't have a pick up truck. Can't help you with trailer license requirements, sorry. Be well my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Baja Fly Fisher View Post
    Caryn would never go fishing with me. When we had a boat in Salinas, she went one time with me up to Naci and she was shocked how fast we were going. And we weren't even full speed. Eric and Kristen loved it. That was the last time she went. I use to take go a lot in the bay when the salmon were running. Once in the morning and then after work. Had limits both times. Do you remember the time we took Andy Burk on the Delta. It was so cold but dinner was a great at the steak house. Andy had many coffee's with Baileys. Do you also remember the hotel and the brown trout and the plumber Those were good times
    What you been up to?

Jay
    Boy we had a lot of good times like fishing San Luis in 110 degree heat, full moon, in the middle of the day, catching teener after teener, & not drinking any water because we were to busy catching fish. Boy we paid for that after words, I don't know how long we sat in Casa De Fruita trying to rehydrate. That trip with Andy on the Delta was one to remember, I don't think I've ever laughed that much on a fishing trip especially when we running back to the ramp in the freezing cold & the live well popped open & soaked you & Andy. By the way do you have any idea where Andy is & how to get in touch with him? Last I heard he was chasing gemstones in the mountains. As for me I think I told you I left Baker 4 years ago & have been taking care of mom. Deb & I are getting ready to ship Sierra of to college & Sage is a sophomore. Haven't been fishing enough but we did rent a house on Almanor over the 4th of July for a week & the Smallmouth fishing was off the hook. Right now I'm looking around for a new occupation, I'm not going back into the trucking industry! We need to get together for an adventure. Let me know when & where & I'll see what I can do.

Tony

I remember that day, HOG ISLAND... It was a race in the morning to claim the spot. Then as the sun rose on the horizon you could see the hogs coming down the hill to drink. Those were the good days and those days are long gone now. I don't think it will ever be like that again. Yep, that's the last I heard of Andy. He was some where in the mountains doing his thing. Oh yeah, do you remember the time we went to King's Beach for the Conclave and spent the weekend in the cabin. Andy was tying size 24 Hunch Back Infrequens with a very dim light and also drunk. And mountain man Hanley camping on the deck outside the sliding door. Was that also the time that we went to a restaurant and these gals were having a bachlorette party and drinking ?????? What the heck were they call. Deb new the name and that's when Andy joined in there party. Boy, I couldn't do that nowadays.
    Any way, I can't believe Sierra is off to college. Where is she going? Sage a sophomore. I hope he won't be like you and cut school to go hunting and fishing . I knew you left Baker. I thought you were working in Monterey somewhere.
    Well, next year if there's water in Naci and it's not filled with silt from the fire, I want to try white bass fishing again or maybe some spotted bass or carp. The delta would be another good place.
    Next time i'm in Monterey, which could be soon, I'll give you a call. Send me your number via email...jaysflies@me.com

Jay

Hi Jay,
    I have a Harbor Freight 4 X 8 foldup trailer with 12" wheels to transport my 10" portabote. I put 2 X 4 bunks which extend about 16" over the edge. But, you still need to lift one end of the boat onto the bunks then pull up the rest. I do this for my portabote which weighs 60lbs. I'd rather lower the trailer into the water and have a winch to pull the boat on the trailer.

If you buy one, make sure you get the certificate of origin or manufacturer since you need this to register at DMV. When fully assembled drive the trailer to DMV and get registered. The only hitch with directions is the wiring. The instructions say to ground the lights to the frame-This doesn't work. Run a separate wire from the light to the ground wire.

I found sit on top kayaks a little tipsy. I have a tandem Aire kayak(inflatable) which I find more stable but my butt gets sore after a few hours of sitting. There are inflatable Hobie kayaks (They are 35 lbs). Any plastic sit on top kayak is at least 50lbs-too heavy for me to move around. You can put stabilizers on a kayak-I have not tried this.

There are different floating devices to fish. You need to decide where you want to fish-lake, delta-do I need to paddle long distances.

Good luck
    Mark

Mark

thanks for the information. It sounds like the 12" wheels will be OK. I have been thinking about this trailer a lot. I would like to back it into the water to launch but when it comes time to load it, I would need a winch. I was also thinking about install 2"x4" bunks on a angle so the pram wouldn't sit flat of the trailer. Still working on the concept of the trailer. Thanks for the information about the registration.

Here's a photo of my antique Columbia pram circa 1971. It weighs 58lbs. But now I'm going to buy a harbour freight trailer to haul it around. I figure my fat body isn't made for a kayak or a rubber raft. Plus the 2hp Honda makes this scoot along the forebay and millerton.

That is a wonderful pram....I had several of them. Most all f us around Kiene's have had a pram like this or a Valco aluminum.

If you have never had a pram this will change your out look on fly fishing lakes and smooth rivers.

I would buy it in a heart beat but I am 71......

Jay, the Super Cat is the best.....I think it is 35# with back packing straps.

http://www.supercat.us/

Rowing / oar kit sucks....

Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Neither new or improved, but now in Redmond OR

Nice. If I owned that I'd install me a swivel seat with a folding back rest. My buddy put them in his 19 foot aluminum Grumman canoe and they made it so much more comfortable to float and fish from.

Bill,
    I also had 3 TPL prams and a homemade knock off from a TPL template. At one point, I was going to try and acquire 7 prams, one for each day of the week. I use to pack this on top of my jeep grand Cherokee that had boat racks. Now I can barely lift it and it only weighs 58lbs. I just saw a 2.3 hp honda 4 stroke at the Sportsman's Warehouse for $995.00. Boy they sure are pretty when there brand new. It was an air cooled engine. The one I have is water cooled.. I'm going to purchase a Harbour Freight trailer that I can haul my pram with. I want to be able to back it into the water.
    Does anyone know if the bearings will with stand the water. Are the tail lights submersible without shorting out