Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pram for sale......

Default Pram for sale......

It's finally happening! After all these years, I'm finally selling my pram. I've had 5 prams over the years, 4 TPL and the Columbia pram. Since I sold my truck I have no way of transporting my pram. Plus the weight of it is just getting to much for me to handle.

It's a circa 1971 Columbia Tri Hull 8' pram and has a lot of accessories with it. This pram is old but still floats and has no leaks. I spent many years fishing the Smith and Chetco for salmon back in the 70;s and 80's, spent a lot of time fishing Pyramid Lake, Lake Tahoe, Martis Lake, Davis Lake, etc. Spent many seasons fishing Hat Creek, Fall River, Baum Lake, Manzanita, Trinity Lake and even floated down the Sacramento one time. Since the first week I bought the pram, I spent many hours on San Luis and the O'Neill Forebay casting to stripers and large mouth bass. Also fished Los Banos Creek Reservoir. One of my best memories fishing out of the pram is many weekends spent on the San Lorenzo River in Santa Cruz casting to steel head and salmon. Just recently, I have been fishing the local waters here is Fresno. Places like Eastman Lake, Hensley, and Millerton.
    But time has come to find something that is lighter to transport and easier to carry.

I'm thinking about a Water Strider boat or a kayak. But I'm having second thoughts about the kayak's stability. The weight of the Water Strider is 35 pounds and it takes 4 minutes to pump up with a K-Pump. Dave Inks (some of you may know him) who lives in Montana sells the Water Strider. He actually designed the boat.

As for the kayak, before I buy one, I want to try one out to see how stable they are. I heard Ocean Kayaks are pretty good. I've been looking at a couple at the Sportsman Warehouse. The only draw back I see is that when "mother nature" calls, you have too go all the way back to the shoreline.

Anyway, here's what comes with the pram:

Minn Kota 46lb thrust trolling motor, Interstate Marine Battery (Brand new, never been hooked up yet), Honda 2hp 4 stroke motor (2009 model), new fire extinguisher, 10lb mushroom anchor, oars, Buddy fish finder, new battery charger and I think I have a few other items.

Registered until the end of 2018

Selling the package for $1,150.00. Pram is located in Fresno

Interested send me an email jaysflies@me.com or PM

Thanks

Jay
    Last edited by Baja Fly Fisher; 08-21-2016 at 03:42 PM.

I did not see a length anywhere?

Honda 2hp 4 stroke outboards are about $1,000 new.....nice motor.

Sounds like a bargain for all that stuff....
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

I just inserted the length....8'

The Honda dealer said that the motor new was around $1,100. He said he would buy it but only give me $200.00- what a joke.

The other option is to get a Harbor Freight trailer and keep it.

I'm not a big fan of kayaks because they too tend to be heavy, and you don't have the control you do with fins. Look at the Outcast Commander or if you're not going to drift any gnarly rivers, I love my 13 lb. Scadden Predator. They are both about $1000. The Commander will paddle much better than the frameless pontoons though. I will probably add one of those to the inflatable fleet someone soon.

That's an awfully nice pram, Jay. They're just heavy. I know Bill and I sure enjoyed his Columbia 12' skiff. If you want to sell the motor, you will get between $500-$600 for it easily.
    Last edited by JAWallace; 08-21-2016 at 07:14 PM.

Neither new or improved, but now in Redmond OR

I'm thinking about a Water Strider boat or a kayak. But I'm having second thoughts about the kayak's stability.
    Look into the Future Beach Voyager 124 Angler:
    http://futurebeach.com/en/products/k...si-angler.html

Guarantee you can cover more water in a wider variety of weather conditions in a kayak than you can in any inflatable, especially one you have to kick. The kayak will track easier, keep you and gear drier, and is more durable. For about 20% the cost. Plus, if you just want to go for a paddle, the kayak works better for that as well.

Oh come on, all those years of you telling me how you wanted to get a real boat so you could fish the Delta & bigger lakes & now you're talking about getting an inner-tube. I think it's time for Karen to get you a real boat then she can go along with you.

Caryn would never go fishing with me. When we had a boat in Salinas, she went one time with me up to Naci and she was shocked how fast we were going. And we weren't even full speed. Eric and Kristen loved it. That was the last time she went. I use to take go a lot in the bay when the salmon were running. Once in the morning and then after work. Had limits both times. Do you remember the time we took Andy Burk on the Delta. It was so cold but dinner was a great at the steak house. Andy had many coffee's with Baileys. Do you also remember the hotel and the brown trout and the plumber Those were good times
    What you been up to?

Jay

I looked at a kayak at REI yesterday. Still not convinced that a sit on top would be the best thing. Although it would be best for my knees to keep them mobile

Jay

I would want a trailer with 14" tires, minimum. I use to have a custom made trailer that had storage boxes, etc. and could carry 4 prams. I got rid of it, why - I don't know.

Neither new or improved, but now in Redmond OR

Quote Originally Posted by Baja Fly Fisher View Post
    I looked at a kayak at REI yesterday. Still not convinced that a sit on top would be the best thing. Although it would be best for my knees to keep them mobile

Jay
    Like most things it's a trade off. A sit on top is easier to get in and out of, but you will be wetter. So they work well for warm water flats and people who plan to get into and out of the kayak frequently. The sit inside will keep you drier, is more stable (because your center of gravity is closer to the surface of the water) but it's harder to get into and out of. A sit inside also tend to track better (less work paddling because your kayak goes straighter, less side to side wandering).