Thread: Marlette Lake

Default Marlette Lake

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	marlette1.jpg 
Views:	191 
Size:	102.7 KB 
ID:	12272

Well, I kicked this one off my bucket list last week. What a beautiful lake this is rarely fished due mainly to a 10 mile round trip hike and a short season. That is mainly why I'm not worried about disclosing. Few will invest in the time to go. I hiked in from sand harbor on the direct trail and didn't see a soul. Its about 2000 feet climb from lake level. If you come in from Spooner Lake you will see hundreds of mountain bikers which is what I wanted to avoid.

You gotta roll cast mainly but if you fish the deep drop offs you will get some feisty fish hitting a variety of patterns. I had most of my success slowly stripping crayfish patterns in burnt orange. Caught a variety of Brookies and Bows. I didn't get any Cuttys' which seems a bit odd considering it's a lake where they harvest the eggs.

Anyway, few talk about this lake because I think few go. I didn't see anybody else fishing. I'm glad I did. A float tube would be ideal. I think it closes Sept 30th.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	marlette2.jpg 
Views:	259 
Size:	98.5 KB 
ID:	12271

Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

I usually see the most cutties along the sun/shade line in the afternoons on the West shore. Roughly from the dam to where the shore turns more E-W.
    FWIW

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Kiene semi-retired View Post

Quote Originally Posted by John Sv View Post
    I usually see the most cutties along the sun/shade line in the afternoons on the West shore. Roughly from the dam to where the shore turns more E-W.
    FWIW
    Thanks Bill. I love to go high late in the dogs days of summer. Those lakes don't see a lot of action and have some willing fish. And even if the fishing stinks you get some good exercise right...

Yeah, it got a little breezy on the west side of the lake. Made casting tough. Those cutties were hiding.

Always wanted to hit that lake. Guess I better get up there now. Luckily I have a backpacking float tube, so I will be on the water for sure.

Spooner has tiger trout in it in case you didn't know, but I bet you do know that.
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

Quote Originally Posted by Scott V View Post
    Always wanted to hit that lake. Guess I better get up there now. Luckily I have a backpacking float tube, so I will be on the water for sure.

Spooner has tiger trout in it in case you didn't know, but I bet you do know that.

Definitely one that is worth the trek scott especially if you have a float tube. And its a good day trip so the commitment isn't crazy. Its all C&R up there (no bait) and I saw some nice fish cruising at times.

I knew Hobart had tigers but not Spooner. Haven't fished that one.

Mornings are starting to get cool again up in the sierra and fall is around the corner. Thunder storms are dropping water too. I doubt water temps are an issue anymore. 70's in the days and mid to high 30's at night. Been a good summer. Best in the last 4 years for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by cdevine View Post
    Definitely one that is worth the trek scott especially if you have a float tube. And its a good day trip so the commitment isn't crazy. Its all C&R up there (no bait) and I saw some nice fish cruising at times.

I knew Hobart had tigers but not Spooner. Haven't fished that one.

Mornings are starting to get cool again up in the sierra and fall is around the corner. Thunder storms are dropping water too. I doubt water temps are an issue anymore. 70's in the days and mid to high 30's at night. Been a good summer. Best in the last 4 years for sure.

Nice report cd! That is quite a fun lake...but a trek for sure.
    I mountain biked in w/ some friends the 2nd week after it opened. Such a blast!
    I gotta get back up there!

Water temps are definitely an issue still.
    We have had quite a warm summer up here in the sierras.
    This week is the first break we have had since May as far as temps and weather. Finally!
    Early mornings are still best as far as streams and temps.

Hi CD,
    I have mountain biked from Spooner past Marlette to Flume trail and beyond but never fished. The ride from Spooner to Marlette is a lung burner for those thinking about it-at least from what I remembered.

Thanks
    Mark

Thanks guys. Yeah, I'm a trail runner in my spare time so I'm a bit of a mtn goat so I would rate the hike in as moderate+. Not crazy like the 10k+ foot stuff in the eastern sierra but definitely going to get your heart rate going and burn some serious calories. I'm really glad I went. I probably won't make it back this year because the season is so short but I think if you time it right a double digit day is very achievable.