Thread: Question on Hatch 5 Finatic

Default Question on Hatch 5 Finatic

Looking at a new reel for my 7 wt setups and interested in a Hatch Finatic. Two rods I use most are a 9'6 and 10' 7wt XP and typically overline these with 8wt Rio salmon/steelhead floating lines. Can any owner of a Hatch 5 comment on pairing this with the setups above? Im concerned on backing/line capacity even if I went with the midarbor spool. Appreciate your feedback. (PS the Hatch 7 seems to be overkill(heavy and generally too large to balance the rods)

Blane

Blane,

Perhaps go with the smaller reel and use 30 pound Power pro braid as baking.

my 2 cents

Carl Blackledge

I have 3 & 5 Hatch reels,their reels cover three weights the 5 is good for 4-5-6 weight. if you lighten up on backing you might be ok with the 5
    I would step up to a 7 and yes they are a bit overkill. but will do the job in a variety of situations.
    AR

If you go to the 7 you will have a much faster line retrieve speed and you can use 30# Dacron backing.

Plus your fly line will be in larger coils.

Call Kiene's American Fly Fishing Company on Monday and ask professional Jim Christensen about this.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

As a hatch pro I am familiar with these reels…I run 5 on my 6 wt nymph rods for out of the drift boat and then 7 on all my striper rods and 6wt two handers. If you are fishing a 9'6" to 10' 7 wt with a 8wt line you will want the 7 plus. Sounds like a steelhead set up. If you were going to run a 7wt line and very thin diameter backing you may be able to pull off the 5 but I think with the 8wt line you will want the 7.

Thanks for the insight guys....