Thread: America River Steelhead

Default America River Steelhead

I was down at Watt Ave this morning doing some casting and to my surprise I saw 4 employees from CA Fish and Wildlife. I thought they were doing some prep work for the spawning gravel projects going on, however, they were seining for immature steelhead. They didn't find any steelhead in that stretch, but found some good numbers in the upper river. I am super happy to see CA DF&W spending some time and effort on steelhead in the American. Perhaps this is a new attitude. We shall see.
    T

Ca Fish and Game need to look at what Washington and Oregon are doing to manage things.

Quote Originally Posted by Rossflyguy View Post
    Ca Fish and Game need to look at what Washington and Oregon are doing to manage things.
    Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe we need to put some newly hatched Steelhead and salmon above Folsom Lake in the South Fork of the American River and the North Fork of the American River?

Or are they doing that?

What happened to the project where they put little salmon in the rice fields and they grew very fast?

Maybe we need to get involved so we will really know what they are up to with our license money?

__________________________________________________ _________________________________

We have 'shutters' on Shasta Dam and 'shutters' on Folsom Dam so they can take water off from different depths to control the water temperature for the hatcheries below and the salmon, steelhead and trout.

To have this work we need to fight for a "minimum pool" or 'minimum level' or 'minimum capacity' of water in Folsom Lake, Shasta Lake and Lake Oroville to be able to have the water to cool the rivers.

Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Bill, I'm not sure why they didn't decide to implement the rice field (nigiri project) but I'm sure it had something to do with funding.

What happened to the project where they put little salmon in the rice fields and they grew very fast?
    Bill~

It is still ongoing and you may read about it here:

https://www.ucdavis.edu/news/nigiri-...ar-floodplain/

I have always dreamed about the steelhead run up to the forks of the Upper American River Watershed, in particular the South Fork headwaters. If only the funding was a priority for ladders/trucking to get past Nimbus, Folsom, Chili Bar, and Slab Creek. It seems rafting is the only priority on the South Fork after power generation. It is interesting to see the new flow requirements with all the FERC relicensing currently going on, still no discussion of passage for migrating fish.