Thread: Three questions

Default Three questions

First: Does anyone have a recommendation for what kind of rod and reel would be good for backpacking trips into the Sierras? I have a 5wt two piece, but I figure a lot of the fish will be smaller and it would be nice to have a 4 piece to break down even further.

Second: What do you do when you want to have the option of two different types of line on your reel? Lets say I plan on doing some dry fly fishing, but if that doesn't work I want to throw streamers so I want a sinking line. Do you have two separate reels that you carry with you?

Last: How do you even pick a reel? I will primarily be fishing for trout, but I would like the option to fish for steelhead and striper as well.

When I backpacked in the Sierra Nevada Mountains (only 1 S in Sierra), I used either an 8' 4wt or 8' 5wt, 4 piece rod. although my current "long walk to a stream rod" is a 8'4" 5 piece 4 wt. Rather than go for 2 separate reels, get a reel and extra spools; you could carry a floating line, a sink tip (if necessary--not really on small Sierra streams), and/or a heavier floater (1 or 2 line weights more than the rod specifications) for short line nymphing with 10-15 feet of line out the tiptop to provide the line weight necessary to load the rod.

Have fun,

Paul

If you are backpacking in the Sierras you won't need more than a 3wt. I have a 4 piece 8 foot Winston that is perfect for backpacking.

I have started carrying two rods a lot. One strung up with a nymphing rig and the other set up for streamers. I generally fish streamers with a floating line and a sinking poly leader, it doesn't cast particularly well, but I can swap it out easily for a dry fly set up if need be.

Reels are like rods they are built for different jobs. A trout reel will be over matched by steelhead. You'll need more than one if you are doing different types of fishing.
    You can't buy happiness, but you can buy new fly fishing gear and that usually does the trick.

I bring two rods: a 7'6" 3-4 wt for creeks and a 9' 5wt for lakes. Both rods have a floating line (I use wf because of the wind) and my 5 has a sinking line. Sometimes I bring one rod but only fish 1 or the other (lake or creek). If I had to pick 1 it would be the 5 because it has a nice long reach. YMMV

As everyone else has said, anything around a 3wt will be all you'll need. I like a 7'3" 2wt with just a floating line. Depending on your budget, you can get away with a full blown setup for fairly cheap. If you're set on taking 2 lines, get a light reel with an extra spool. The Lamson liquid 3 pack would be a good deal and an excellent lightweight match for a little rod like that.

A budget, your primary type of water fished, and your favored methods would help in your quest for a rod. Do you fish lakes a lot or rarely? Lots of streamers or very few? I rarely fish lakes and would make whatever rod I have work if I had to fish a lake. I fish streams 99% of the time and in the high country it's dries if they are surface feeding and dry/dropper otherwise. If your budget allows, two rods would allow you to dial in any situation you would encounter (lake or stream) if you are highly varied in how you fish.

Your high country trout reel does not need a bullet proof drag or any drag at all for that matter. A click/pawl reel would be fine. An extra spool is all you need for a different setup. Again, budget gives some flexibility with another reel vs. a spool.

As the others have stated, an 8' 4wt would be ideal. Dries, dry/dropper, and a small nymph setup would work fine with this length/weight. Four piece is fine, no need for more pieces. I would opt for the 4wt over a 3wt as the 4wt will handle a bit of wind but either would work. If you are going to make your 5 wt work or get another one that is 4 pieces, I would opt for the 3 wt. just to get some separation from the 5 wt. Not a lot of overlap between the two.

There is no reel that bridges the gap from small trout to steelhead. Steelhead sized reels will be designed for a 6/7 wt at minimum or 7/8 wt. This will be a separate rig entirely (rod and reel).

Make your search fun and let us know what you end up with.

Many 9' #4 line rods in 4 pc will actually take a 5 weight line so be sure to fine a true 4 weight.

Rods that are around $200 are good.

Reels starting at about $100 are good too.

You need a weight forward 4 floating line and some kind of full sinking.

A clear slow sinker WF4I or a faster sinking?
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........