Thread: Rio Outbound Short Tropical vs. Coldwater (Saltwater)

Default Rio Outbound Short Tropical vs. Coldwater (Saltwater)

I do enjoy fishing the ROS Intermediate lines, however, due to the line's thick coating, it can be a pain to cast, especially into a slight breeze. Add to the thickness of the line, are air temperatures of 80 degrees or warmer, and the Coldwater version get gummy and appears to stick to the guides........

Do any of you dedicated year around fisherman that rely on the Intermediate line, switch between the Tropical and Coldwater version of the ROS Intermediate? The early part of the Fall season can be pretty warm out at times to where the Coldwater version just seems to go nowhere!

Thanks.

If you are off the hot deck of a boat then you might want the tropical for then.

In colder months you would want the Coldwater version.

We have a place in Florida and in the winter it can get cold so the different lines are a good thing.

If you use a stripping bucket or stripping barrel with water in it on your boat then the Coldwater line will work better in the heat.

Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Good point with the stripping bucket and water....... I forget that when I go out and match lines with rods, it's usually on a lawn with NO water.

Maybe during the transition month between late summer and fall, I can put an ice pack or cubed ice in the stripping bucket : )

The 30 ft Intermediate tip Tropical is a great line. it works OK even in cooler water if the air temp is at least in high 70's. Used it in the Yucatan in August on a couple of trips and it was fine on a skiff or panga.