Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How often do you use your drift boat/raft?

Default How often do you use your drift boat/raft?

I'm curious what an average amount of use looks like, especially for those in the Sacramento area.

Thanks!

Just about once every 10 days here...when we lived in CA, I drifted the Lower Sac about 4 times a year.

We have the Lower American, Lower Sac, Lower Feather and Lower Yuba Rivers plus some to the south in the Valley.

Then you have the Trinity, Klamath and Rogue River up in Nor Cal and Southern Oregon.

It is up to the individual how much he would use one.

Drift boats are more popular than rafts.

Rafts are nicer on rocky rivers.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

My problem with driftboats was always the "Shuttle" factor. Not a big deal if you have shuttle services available. Sucks if you don't and/or want to go alone. I had a scooter I locked to a tree at my takeout but then I had to leave my boat unprotected while I went to get the trailer. I eventually traded up to a Jon boat with a small jet and just ran up river and fished back down. Not so easy to handle but it kept me fishing. One thing, make sure you have fishing buddies that can handle the boat! I like to fish too so spending all day on the oars while everyone else gets to fish can be frustrating. Of course there's always riffle jumping.

To answer your question, I've got a friend in your area that has a drift boat that he only uses when I come down there. I haven't been in the Sac area in several years. His sits in a shed and collects dust. Go Figure!
    Last edited by Idadon; 08-07-2016 at 11:28 AM.

Thanks for the responses. I could have mentioned that I have a raft. I was hoping to use it 6-12 times a year, but I'm starting to realize quarterly is more realistic. There are contributing factors such as shuttling and young kids. I could try some shuttle services to see if that gets me out more. Thanks!

For all of those that are not using your boats as often as you'd like, do you have a spare set of oars that you'd be open to part with? For a fair price of course. Thanks in advance.

4 times a month would probably be a realistic usage for many anglers. Being that the Yuba, feather, American and sac are all within a reasonable drive...

I have some good friends who decided to book guides rather than buy a drift boat, if you break it down a new drift boat is pretty much $9000. That would break down to 18 guide trips more or less......

Quote Originally Posted by TaylerW View Post
    4 times a month would probably be a realistic usage for many anglers. Being that the Yuba, feather, American and sac are all within a reasonable drive...

I have some good friends who decided to book guides rather than buy a drift boat, if you break it down a new drift boat is pretty much $9000. That would break down to 18 guide trips more or less......
    I'm one of those people! My money is better spent on somebody who knows the water and will get me near fish. And quite honestly there are a lot of guides who are worth every bit of that investment. Fishing, education of waterways, friendships, etc.

I love to hike, walk and wade so I got that part covered but owning a boat will never be my thing. Plus you have the upkeep and storage factor. And don't ever underestimate mother nature. There are few people who ever say wow I really used that boat a lot more than I thought. (unless you are a guide and or retired).

Idadon, consider a partner to invest in your drift boat. Share the expense, share the use.
    "The solution to any problem -work, love, money, whatever -is to go fly fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be." -John Gierach

Yup! A good idea if you can find the right person. My driftboat is long gone as is the jet/jon boat. Replaced with a nice comfy RV, a Livingston 10' and a Gheenoe. All I need now is a Ranger Bass Boat!!!