Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Smallmouth Bass in moving water in CA.

Here is a wonderful info piece for fly fishing the Russian River for Smallmouth Bass by guide Rob Russell.

__________________________________________________ ___________________________________

Russian River Smallmouth Bass

The season for fishing the Russian is roughly March through November.

The low-light times of the day, dawn and dusk are the best time of day, however fish can be caught all-day even in mid-summer, with the exception being hot days above 95 or so. Starting at the surface and fishing deeper as the sun angle increases is the most effective strategy.

The river from basically the town of Forestville upstream to Hopland, some thirty plus river miles, has the highest concentration of bass.

Clousers in lighter natural colors
    Woolly Buggers in olive and black
    Simi-seal leeches in black

Those top three will get the job done most days. Clousers are most effective in the Spring. Leeches in Summer.

Topwater is dependent on very low-light conditions but can be very good with the topwater bass fly of your choice.
    White poppers and small pole dancers are good.

I would be happy to expand on any of the above if needed:

Thank you Bill - I really appreciate and respect your consideration and support... - Rob

http://rrflyfishing.blogspot.com/ Russian River

Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

I've fished with Rob Russell in the Russian for smallies and he really knew his stuff. I'm surprised more people don't fish for them especially when trout fishing slows down. It's totally a blast and just different enough from trout that it's educational.

What a great thread. Decades ago when I do believe we had some legal access points, I fished above Berryessa in late spring. We'd get lake run trout in the mix. I also fished the Consumnes ... What memories. Outside of Nor Cal, there are SMBs in the ol' Colorado River and people who target them near Blythe, Havasu etc.
    B.

IMO the best time to fish smallmouth on the feather is in the evenings now through October (and the more you get into October the better the fishing is all day). What bill says about fishing next to the fallen trees is right. However, I kid you not when I say that your popper needs to be casted directly next to the tree. I cannot tell you how many times I have fished the river and will not get bit if my popper is merely a foot off the tree and then I throw it right on top and get hammered. Lots of small fish but some much bigger fish mixed in. The Feather actually has a pretty healthy population of smallie/spotted bass hybrids that grow pretty big too. My biggest on the river was about 8 pounds on conventional gear years ago. One of the best places to fish for bigger smallies/hybrids on the feather is below the Yuba city boat ramp about a mile where there is a stretch of river with some submerged pylons. Great place to toss some clousers/buggers mid mornings in October for bigger fish. Another great spot is up near live oak up the hongcut creek arm--some very good SM fishing in there. Anywhere north of the bridge in town is good too all the way up to the railroad bridge where passing in a boat is a little sketch depending upon flows.

The Feather bass fishery is very under-utilized. Because it is a pretty narrow window in terms of good fishing (last hour and a half of light) this time of year, i think its hard for people from sac to get motivated to tow a boat up there to fish for such a short time.

Hello Jacob Ouzts...thanks for coming on here.

Jacob is one of the SMB guys who told me about the Lower Feather River some years back.

I think there are SMB in the entire Lower Feather River from below the town of Oroville downstream to the mouth going into the Sacramento near Verona.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Just got more SMB info from Gordon Langenbech from southern Oregon.

Bill,

The South Fork of the Umpqua River between Canyonville and Roseburg has an excellent SMB fishery.

Gordon Langenbeck
    Sent from my iPhone

__________________________________________________ _
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

It does, the fish tend to run larger than in the John Day I believe, and the access is easy and plentiful. It does get some recreational traffic in the summer though.