Thread: Cutthroat Slamming in Utah and fishing in Montana: a trip report.

Default Cutthroat Slamming in Utah and fishing in Montana: a trip report.

Nearly every summer I am able to get away from the normal routine of life for a couple of weeks and go to the Rocky Mountains to do some fly fishing. This was one of those years when I was able to take off and escape. This year was a bit different in that I decided to participate in Utah DNR’s Cutthroat Trout Slam Program. I did the requisite research beforehand and headed first to the beehive state, where I was able to catch the four required trout in various streams, which will remain nameless in this post.

The Bear River Cutthroat Trout (a Bonneville Cutt subspecies)

The Bonneville Cutthroat Trout

The Colorado Cutthroat Trout

The Yellowstone Cutthroat Trout

Some interesting Utah Geology

The requirements being met, I headed north through Idaho and into Montana to fish one of my favorite rivers, which I will name, but is by no means secret: The Madison River. The hordes that go there for the salmonfly hatch were long gone, but the caddis were certainly hatching and the trout were hungry and looking up. Routinely catching 14 to 17 inch rainbows and browns never gets old and keeps me coming back to this river year after year.

A typical rainbow trout caught on a dry fly during an evening hatch

…and another…

I love this river!

Montana often serves up some pretty spectacular sunsets…

…plus some interesting clouds and weather phenomenon

Later I went and checked out some other streams and lakes in the West Yellowstone vicinity and was able to catch some brook trout…

…and a freakin’ SLAB of a Yellowstone Cutt that was 21 to 22” long from a deep hole in front of a beaver dam in a small creek. Woof!

On my way back to California, going through Idaho and Oregon, I saw a park and campsite in Idaho that could REALLY stand to be re-named…

All in all, it was another successful trip of doing nothing but fishing, sleeping, relaxing and driving…yeah…LOTS of driving…

Enjoy!
    Last edited by Fly Guy Dave; 07-28-2016 at 06:44 AM.
    "Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." --Jeff Lebowski

Some pics of native salmonids: http://flyguydave.wordpress.com/

Nice report and what a way to getaway! Love the photo essay and that cloud formation pic is a great example what Virga looks like. Congrats on a great summer getaway!! Beaver Dicks would be a great name for a saloon

Neither new or improved, but now in Redmond OR

I like that they have to put up a sign telling people they can't shoot in the campground.

Looks like you had an awesome trip! Gotta love the Rocky Mountain area. So many places to fish and so man fish to catch. Maybe one day my wife will let me move us there. That one cutty is a beast! Would love to see a picture of the creek it was pulled from. Sounds like skinny water?

I dig your passion for catching Native Fish!

I have a book of native trout by bob Smith and my think is every time I catch one a photo and when/where gets put in the book in the respective chapter. a fun life's project!

Heeeyy! What's wrong with naming a park after the first White Man in the area. He's part of Idaho & Montana history. I think it's a rather colorful name!

Quote Originally Posted by Idadon View Post
    Heeeyy! What's wrong with naming a park after the first White Man in the area. He's part of Idaho & Montana history. I think it's a rather colorful name!
    Actually, I find it pretty funny, which is why I included it in the post. But for the sake of argument, Castor canadensis Richard just doesn't sound as good as Beaver Dick!
    "Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." --Jeff Lebowski

Some pics of native salmonids: http://flyguydave.wordpress.com/

It's a conversation starter for sure. Great pictures!

GREAT REPORT~

I think I'd rather be confronted by Ranger Rick than Beaver Dick~