Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: best way to attach tippet

Default best way to attach tippet

What is the best way to attach tippet to leaders? I have not found a good way yet

Quote Originally Posted by joseph28 View Post
    What is the best way to attach tippet to leaders? I have not found a good way yet
    I am warming up to the use of tippet rings. I started using them recently and found that it is very easy to change tippit. You just tie the tippet to the ring which is tied on to the end of the tapered leader and away you go. I use improved cinch knots for connecting any line to the ring. The big benefit for me is that the use of rings significantly increases the life of tapered leaders by eliminating the shortening effect from knot tying. They also seem to float well enough for dry fly fishing (never been an issue with me).

The double surgeon knot works for me: http://www.animatedknots.com/surgeon...om#ScrollPoint

The blood knot is another good option: https://youtu.be/q-QGPzEKZKo

Quote Originally Posted by Mr F View Post
    The double surgeon knot works for me: http://www.animatedknots.com/surgeon...om#ScrollPoint

The blood knot is another good option: https://youtu.be/q-QGPzEKZKo
    i have tried to use both of those before but they would just keep sliding off.

Quote Originally Posted by Fly Right View Post
    I am warming up to the use of tippet rings. I started using them recently and found that it is very easy to change tippit. You just tie the tippet to the ring which is tied on to the end of the tapered leader and away you go. I use improved cinch knots for connecting any line to the ring. The big benefit for me is that the use of rings significantly increases the life of tapered leaders by eliminating the shortening effect from knot tying. They also seem to float well enough for dry fly fishing (never been an issue with me).
    thanks, thats what i was leading towards.

Used to be simple, double surgeon for mono to mono. Up jumps flouro and the double surgeon slips. Try a triple surgeon and leave a longer tag. I've actually tried a triple surgeon loop on the leader and tippet and go loop to loop. Lots of problems with that one if there's any vegetation in the water, same with leaving a longer tag at your knot. I'm now back to mono leaders and tippet!

Quote Originally Posted by Idadon View Post
    Used to be simple, double surgeon for mono to mono. Up jumps flouro and the double surgeon slips. Try a triple surgeon and leave a longer tag. I've actually tried a triple surgeon loop on the leader and tippet and go loop to loop. Lots of problems with that one if there's any vegetation in the water, same with leaving a longer tag at your knot. I'm now back to mono leaders and tippet!
    thanks just tried it and it worked and kept me from having to buy tippet rings!

I use a faux blood knot, known as a speed blood knot. It's a helluva lot easier than a conventional blood knot, has good holding strength, and allows one to easily tie successively small diameter tippet in to the leader. It's on YouTube, very easy.

First have some fresh nylon mono tapered leaders and mono tippet material that is the same brand to be safe.

If you have fluorocarbon mono it will last a long time.

The most popular knot today is the 'double surgeons'.

For finer tippets we use the 'triple surgeons'.

In heavier, larger diameters mono we use the old 'nail knot' or 'blood knot'.

What you use between the end of your fly line and your fly is a huge science that can make a big difference in your success as an angler.

There is lots of good info on this in books and videos.

If you can get to a seminar or class on the science of leader systems I would attend it.

Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Loop to loop with double or triple surgeon loop. Another alternative over tippet rings are small #12 or #14 swivels.