Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: best way to attach tippet

+1 Tippet Rings! Been using them for years now. One of the best "inventions" in fly fishing in the last 10 years, IMHO. I fish a lot, and with the rings, I can use a single leader for months, instead of having to put on a new leader every trip, or tie blood knots. And they don't affect dry fly fishing either.

Once you start using tippet rings, believe me......you'll never go back to tying blood knots. I really don't understand why everyone doesn't use them.

I take a brand new leader, snip off a foot or so, put on the ring, then tie on my tippet. Voila! One pack of rings will last you a couple seasons at least. And save you considerable $$ on buying leaders. Awesome product.

They also make them in steelhead size too. On cold rainy days, with freezing fingers, you won't have to attempt to tie a blood knot streamside. And that's worth the price of them alone.
    Last edited by Jeff F; 07-28-2016 at 07:45 AM.

+2 Tippet Rings.

Best damn product ever. This summer, we were fishing a stream and using three
    methods...streamers, dries and nymphs. So being able to put on 3x flouro for buggers,
    then switch back to dries with 4x mono in a snap using the tippet rings was perfect
    and saves tons of time.

Eric

I agree with everything Jeff said. Tippet rings are amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff F View Post
    +1 Tippet Rings! Been using them for years now. One of the best "inventions" in fly fishing in the last 10 years, IMHO. I fish a lot, and with the rings, I can use a single leader for months, instead of having to put on a new leader every trip, or tie blood knots. And they don't affect dry fly fishing either.

Once you start using tippet rings, believe me......you'll never go back to tying blood knots. I really don't understand why everyone doesn't use them.

I take a brand new leader, snip off a foot or so, put on the ring, then tie on my tippet. Voila! One pack of rings will last you a couple seasons at least. And save you considerable $$ on buying leaders. Awesome product.

They also make them in steelhead size too. On cold rainy days, with freezing fingers, you won't have to attempt to tie a blood knot streamside. And that's worth the price of them alone.

Quote Originally Posted by joseph28 View Post
    i have tried to use both of those before but they would just keep sliding off.
    I think you need to find someone to help you tie a knot. It shouldn't slide off.

thanks to every one who replied i will be using tippet rings in the future.
    Quote Originally Posted by goby View Post
    I think you need to find someone to help you tie a knot. It shouldn't slide off.
    i think you might be right i was probably doing it wrong but i did find that the triple surgeons works pretty well

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff C. View Post
    Loop to loop with double or triple surgeon loop. Another alternative over tippet rings are small #12 or #14 swivels.
    Hey guys,

Just remember when your telling these new guys about triple surgeons loops, that means 6 times through....perhaps tell them to make an overhand knot and pull the material through 3 times? It can be very confusing to the new guys.

BTW I agree with the 3 turn overhand knot for the smaller stuff especially when you have the cold fingers, however if it's warm and I am not in a hurry I usually use the blood knot

My 2 cents

Carl

Interesting! I was told some years ago by a well known Steelheader that 3 times thru the loop was a triple. I googled the knot and apparently it's either 3 or 6 times thru! One has to wonder how much strength is gained by the extra 3 times thru. A quick experiment with 30# Big Game (good shooting mono) using 6 times thru left me with something resembling a Monkey's Fist. Might have to work on this one I think. ??????

Thanks for the info!

Quote Originally Posted by Idadon View Post
    Interesting! I was told some years ago by a well known Steelheader that 3 times thru the loop was a triple. I googled the knot and apparently it's either 3 or 6 times thru! One has to wonder how much strength is gained by the extra 3 times thru. A quick experiment with 30# Big Game (good shooting mono) using 6 times thru left me with something resembling a Monkey's Fist. Might have to work on this one I think. ??????

Thanks for the info!
    Idadon

I haven't ever tied a triple surgeons knot in 30 # Mono for the obvious reasons you just stated. I have tied hundreds of triple surgeons in Braid from #30 pound to #65 and the knot almost looks like a blood knot when tied correctly in Braid. Again for the small stuff I tie an overhand knot and pull the material thru 3 times, when completed it's a very ugly knot, however it's almost 100%, the blood knot in the same material is around 86%...my 2 cents

Carl Blackledge

Try the splice knot! I use it in all my guiding!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=611JWRtkjOc
    Lincoln Gray
    LG'S Fly Fishing Adventures
    530-520-6895
    http://lgflyfishingadventures.com

love that tool. Been using it for years.