Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Blue Lakes area

Better check if the lake is clear before you go. Call Lakeview Terrace.

Quote Originally Posted by Bkane View Post
    Better check if the lake is clear before you go. Call Lakeview Terrace.
    I decided not to go there because of the 100-plus-degree weather.

I left Monday (first mistake) to go to Caples Creek. Campground full (except for the crappy spots). East Walker a dribble, but people everywhere. Called Ken's Sporting Goods in Bridgeport and asked about Robinson and Buckeye flows. They said they were good. Got there and - you guessed it - campgrounds full, people everywhere. Walker looked good along highway, but every pullout had car(s) in them. Spent the night at a nice undeveloped spot on Buckeye. Headed back to Caples on Tues - apparently the day you start to find open spots. Caples Creek was beautiful, but all dinks. Still fun and much cooler down there. Camping spot nice, but hot, dusty, and lots of bugs - of every persuasion. In retrospect, I wish I would have done a road trip, headed north.

Quote Originally Posted by johnsquires View Post
    I left Monday (first mistake) to go to Caples Creek. Campground full (except for the crappy spots). East Walker a dribble, but people everywhere. Called Ken's Sporting Goods in Bridgeport and asked about Robinson and Buckeye flows. They said they were good. Got there and - you guessed it - campgrounds full, people everywhere. Walker looked good along highway, but every pullout had car(s) in them. Spent the night at a nice undeveloped spot on Buckeye. Headed back to Caples on Tues - apparently the day you start to find open spots. Caples Creek was beautiful, but all dinks. Still fun and much cooler down there. Camping spot nice, but hot, dusty, and lots of bugs - of every persuasion. In retrospect, I wish I would have done a road trip, headed north.
    thanks for the update. has anyone ever fished the carson right past hope valley on blue lakes road using the bridge as access

Quote Originally Posted by joseph28 View Post
    thanks for the update. has anyone ever fished the carson right past hope valley on blue lakes road using the bridge as access
    I fished that stretch this past weekend and it was awesome. There were a lot of people camping creekside so its not the place to go if you are looking for solitude, but I was the only person fishing so I had the river to myself. I had about 20 fish to hand in about 3 hours, roughly 2/3 rainbows, 1/3 brookies and they all took the same parachute adams which is now retired to the hat...chewed to bits!

Also, I fished the meadow section of the West Fork, just west of the 88/19 junction and about half way along there is a huge new beaver dam, so everything upstream from there for about half a mile is essentially a pond. Some of the best water is gone.
    You can't buy happiness, but you can buy new fly fishing gear and that usually does the trick.

Just got back yesterday from the Blue lakes area.
    The first night i got there i headed up to the upper blue lakes dam and fished the creek flowing to the lower lake. Since i only had about 30 minutes to an hour to fish after setting up camp i just stayed at the dam. Started out throwing a size 12 copper john and one of the fish grabbed it for a second and i lost it, after that they would just nose towards it and then turn so i tried an sz 12 elk hair and nothing then tried 12 pt and the 12 bh prince and all the same results.
    That next morning woke up about 8:30 and went straight for the same spot and on the size 12 bh prince throwing it right in front of the drainage pipe where i could see about a 10-12 in trout and he nosed towards it where then a smaller trout came out from under a rock and grabbed it and caught him. First trout on the newish rod (got in January but second time out) later that after noon after decieding to tie some smaller flies i decided to go to lost lakes were on the map it says the carson starts and it was down to a 2in creek on a mountian at about 50+% and did not want to go down only being able to see a stagnant pond. That night decided to be dropped off at lower bear and fish all the way up to upper blue didnt see a single fish. That next day around noon got dropped off at the charity river bridge on blue lakes road, headed up stream and spooked a few fish so then headed down stream (this is one of my first time really trying to fish small streams for trout) after spooking a few more fish and being turned down on nymphs tied on a sz 12 royal wulf and casted towards a small group of fish and he came up and slurped it but i pulled it out of its mouth couple casts later at the same group and got one(not letting me insert pics) after heading down stream and some more fish ignoring me it was time to go and as i made my way upstream i saw another group of fish and as my fly sank but ii decided to leave it since they seamed interested he came up and grabbed it and i caught that one. Thursday didnt do any fishing just relaxed and shot my bow getting ready for deer season. Friday hiked up to granite early and caught a few trout on power bait and lures and saturday we left. pretty good week in the mountians