Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is it legal to have a weight below your lowest fly?

Default Is it legal to have a weight below your lowest fly?

Hi,
    Buried in a different thread is a discussion about this-I thought it warranted its own thread. I have been under the impression (been told many times by I forget who and when) that in CA the regulation is that you have to have a point fly below the lowest shot (or other weight). Running a fly with leader and a weight below, constitutes drop shotting, which as a poster brought up is illegal in CA. The regulation, as the poster said, is to protect against salmon snagging. I always run a point fly at the bottom of my nymph rigs, but I've read in Sierra Fisherman a recommendation to rig leader and shot below your fly, and also here. Plus don't the gear guys back-bounce for salmon and spin-n-glow for steelies?

I think the gist about not having a point fly is that if the shot snags, you just pull and the shot slips off, saving the rest of your rig. Whether that is a good idea or a bad one is for people smarter than me to debate; I'm curious about clarity regarding the actual regulation. Although I do wonder if the bottoms of the Yuba, T and the LT are paved with lost shot...

So... anybody know?
    Thanks!
    Last edited by John Sv; 07-12-2016 at 02:15 PM. Reason: unreadable!

The regulations stipulate that "drop shotting" (weight below lowest fly) is illegal in moving water, but legal in still water. I have verified this with 2 or 3 independent DFG wardens who I saw in the field.

Anyone can think of several creative ways to circumvent this somewhat pointless regulation and remain within the "rules".

Anyone can think of several creative ways to circumvent this somewhat pointless regulation and remain within the "rules".[/QUOTE]

Guess I'll bite ... How do you rig to circumvent the regulation and remain within the rules?

Heavy tungsten beadhead fly with the bend of the hook snipped off Just tell the warden your in the game for the grab not the catch

Lolz. So I've done this and was getting a lot of action but no hookups. sometimes I'd get a few headshakes from the fish. Then a lightbulb went on... wait a minute... they were hitting the fly with no hook! Tied one on with the hook on and game on!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Kranhold View Post
    Heavy tungsten beadhead fly with the bend of the hook snipped off Just tell the warden your in the game for the grab not the catch

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Kranhold View Post
    HA!!!!!!!!

I honestly believe somehow, someway most of us have violated some rule without ever knowing. Doesn't make it right but at some point in life you just have to go out and fish. For peat sake its not like you are snagging fish. I know when I fished in Canada that you could only have 1 fly. (no tandem rigs). That was black and white. I don't use this method but I want to say I've seen it fished by Kelly Gallop.

It is quite possible I am wrong in my reply to Taylor in the other thread. I know what DFW told me but they may have misunderstood the question or I may have misunderstood the answer.

"drop shotting" (weight below lowest fly) is illegal in moving water"

Can you specify which part of the regs you are referring to ? I can find nothing about it but the section I mentioned in the other post.

Quote "I honestly believe somehow, someway most of us have violated some rule without ever knowing. Doesn't make it right but at some point in life you just have to go out and fish."

Which is why I put a little Pro Cure on my streamers!!! A little dab'll do ya right!!
    Just Kidding!!!!

ha ha... Yeah, I like to "Chum" in the water before I hit that hole hard. The solution is to just dry fly fish right?