Thread: WTB reel for 7wt

Default WTB reel for 7wt

Having a bit of trouble finding a decent reel to balance a recently purchased 10' 7wt Echo Ion.

Top end of budget ~$200 including shipping. Would prefer something that will hold up to some salt as I will be using it on sea-run browns in an upcoming NZ trip. Otherwise planning to do lots of nymphing and maybe a bit of steelheading with it.

Post or PM me with what you've got and what you are asking. Doesn't need to be lined.

Prefer a Galvan or Lamson but open to ideas/options. I have a 1st gen Lamson Guru 3 that I am pretty happy with and works on my 5wt switch, but it isn't quite right for this rod...

The fly reels today in that price range are very light weight so you might want to get an 8 weight reel to balance your 10 foot rod.

If it is too big I just use 30 pound Dacron backing.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

I agree with Bill and have nothing for sale but I have used that same rod for couple of years and love it. I tried several reels and best match for me is a Lamson Velocity Hard Alox II in 3.5 size. I have both 3.5 spool and 3.5X spool (extra line capacity). Weight of reel is 5.90 oz.

I have an Allen Kraken 3 in excellent condition. That I've been thinking of getting rid of. PM if you're interested.

If you can afford the luxury of a new reel with a spare spool for about $350, I have a Waterworks/Lamson and a Loop that would fit you

Quote Originally Posted by onlyworms View Post
    If you can afford the luxury of a new reel with a spare spool for about $350, I have a Waterworks/Lamson and a Loop that would fit you
    Depending on the model of the Lamson I might be interested. Please PM with details.

Bump ahead of the weekend...still looking...

Check out scientific anglers ampere electron or ampere voltage fly reels size IV. You can pick one up for well under $200 if you shop around. PM for the deal if interested.

Redington's Behemoth range offers outstanding value in a L/A reel and all have a 30lb.drag...