Thread: House Passes Bill to Trim 1992 CVPIA - Specifically Striped Bass

Default House Passes Bill to Trim 1992 CVPIA - Specifically Striped Bass

http://www.sacbee.com/latest-news/article87879102.html

All of a sudden the desert farmers are advocates for salmon?! Denham says, “in California, predation is rampant.” Hmmm.... does he also mean that non native Almond trees are preying on unnatural water (deliveries)?

More favorable legislation for an elite few............ Stupidity and Entitlement all wrapped into one........

CLAIM: Secure clean water supplies for 25 million Californians and 3 million acres of farmland.

FACT: In reality, 70 percent of the water used from the Delta goes for large industrial agriculture in the Southwestern San Joaquin Valley that contributes just 0.3% to the state’s GDP.

funny I was just arguing for the stripers on a similar but different front:

I personally see the Mercury argument as circumventing the real problem...

In most matters of conservation, a river, a forest, a community, an ecosystem, a species is seldom, if ever, saved based on factors favoring human health and well being even though most often those benefits are the eventual outcome of saving say a rain forest, a fjord, a watershed like our delta or a species of fish like striped bass.

It is usually self-LESS reasons which serve as the cornerstone/s to protection of a species or natural area.

Honestly, I believe the mercury-level thing is a bit overdone similar to the AMA's restrictions on certain substances (like kidney tolerances and set standards for acetaminophen mg levels in certain prescription drugs...) Government regulatory agencies do tend to err on the side of conservatism regarding health and safety issues.

That said, I am careful about how much fish I eat from the American River.

But to make suggestions on releasing large stripers based on toxicity and human health is not necessarily helpful to our cause as to do so circumvents and often even omits the real reasons why we should let large stripers go and the even larger issues at hand regarding our diminishing water supply, diminishing delta, diminishing fish stocks (of all species; game and non game fish, native and non-native, cold and warm water, oceanic, anadromous, tidal and fresh water species included) and diminishing opportunities for our hunting and fishing past times.

When I engage in a conversation about striped bass (usually on the river with an encountered angler I do not know) I express the importance of letting large stripers go but my reasons are because the larger fish have the genes for survival and need to be able to reproduce and since larger hens are the brood stock for future generations. A 12 lb bass lays 850,000 eggs whereas a 50lb bass lays as many as 4.5 million.

Also, I relay that the American River is a niche habitat which doesn't have anywhere near the numbers of the Sacramento and Feather Rivers but does have a reasonable number of larger fish per capita. I also now have to bring spear fishers in to the equation because as the clearest of the central valley rivers, big hen stripers are now extremely vulnerable to this 100% kill/take method which has (in my opinion) no business being allowed on our river.

As detrimental as over-harvesting and culling of big, spawning females (by ALL anglers and spearos) is to the survival of striped bass, it ultimately pales in comparison to the greatest threat of all which is the excess water diversions accelerated in 1993 by installation of the pumps at Clifton Court Forebay and the continued attempt to greatly increase those diversions (via twin tunnels) by rich, corporate farmers (Westland's Water District) and quasi governmental (MWD) and governmental (BOR DWR CDFW) agencies.

In their attempts to wrest control of delta waters, the striped bass is being used as a scapegoat or a red-herring (a distraction from logical discourse) which has little to do with actual cause and effect and even less to do with the heart/truth of the matter in question) <- me not Merriam Webster so may be off a bit...

As long as proponents of the twin tunnels can dupe the public in to believing that something other than water exports is responsible for the decline of the salmon... or any other declining aspect of the overall health of our delta ecosystem... then they have a better chance of advancing their agenda and they will keep pressing forward and taking politicians and agencies with them in their wake of fury and they will try to divide and conquer those of us who actually care.

This is all so complex as so many are involved and so few are aware of the truth. It is so easy for big money to push its agenda, especially when it calls itself, "Bay Delta Conservation Plan" or "Coalition for a Sustainable Delta" (Look those up to find out what they are REALLY about). When they rally about farming jobs and food for Californians (which in truth they scarcely provide). When they talk about HUMANS vs. a tiny smelt (which is not even close to the actual cost/benefit reality of their water diversion proposals arguments.

Unfortunately, 99% of the people on our planet could really give a shit about a healthy delta, fisheries, etc.. It just isn't at the forefront of most folks' thought process (out of sight, out of mind). Most Americans spend more time watching the Kardashabarfians than they do in their yards and an even greater percentage will tell you they've never been to a river much less fished in one. People are more apt to vote for Kanye as president than to get involved in a sensitive political issue regarding the health of an ecosystem to which they have never been and have no idea they derive any benefit from...

THANKFULLY, there are the whistle-blowers and extremely-concerned folks like those at restorethedelta.org who DO CARE IMMENSELY and are doing all they can to fight for what is most worthy of our protection (our natural resources which belong to you and to me and to everyone and to NO one)

TO BE CONTINUED

Last edited by STEELIES/26c3; Today at 10:22 PM.

This also about a Politician 'earning his keep' (funding) for his supporters ultimately earning re-election....... It's not like anyone held anybody accountable to the CVPIA anyway. And so it goes........ more low hanging fruit........ ironically, it should be the low hanging 'nuts' that should go away...... problem solved.

well put....

and I realize it's not a TRUE victory for the opposition.

It's just a counter-attack in response to having lost a bigger battle (Judge Kenny tossing out Delta Plan)

The other counter-punch was the reinstatement of its suggestions to DFW commission regarding the proposal for increased take limits and reduced size restriction regulations on striped and largemouth bass.

They just won't go away and now, more than ever, we need to dispel their lies while we have momentum in our favor~

Default L.A. Times Article....

yesterday might interest you guys:

http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-p...nap-story.html
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Thanks for that Darian.

And while it is refreshing to see a reverse-bias article on the 'big water' agenda in a major news source like the 'LAT'...

I think the writer tried to get too cutesy with it and much got lost in the translation.

That is on top of some major mis-edits like this paragraph:

"But it’s all threatened. Gov. Jerry Brown and big interests — corporate agriculture, water districts, labor unions — are trying to convince government environmental regulators that digging two 40-foot-wide, 35-milethan it is. In fact, they argue, it’ll improve."

Reminds me of when I was with Earth First, up in Humboldt, trying to help save the old growth redwoods of Headwaters... and we'd finally get some local press coverage only to have some stoned, inarticulate deadhead/deadbeat spew nonsensical crap into the interview microphone...

However critical... I am still grateful for George Skelton telling the mostly-neglected side of the story and I am grateful that the Los Angeles Times agreed print it.

I'm getting to be such a cynical bastard in my 50's hahaha~;(

Darian,

I think this is a wonderful article that ought to be spread out everywhere. It's refreshing to finally hear some one say something that is more realistic and to the point.

Put this over on Dan's board too and repeat it again up on the Striped Bass part of the forum. The more folks that read this stuff the better it will be for everyone .
    Tony
    TONY BUZOLICH
    Feather River Fly
    Yuba City, CA.
    (530) 790-7180

Another Water District Charging Property Taxes
    for Delta Tunnels Planning: Zone 7 Water Agency

Stockton, CA - Documents released under the California Public Records Act reveal that the Zone 7 Water Agency of Alameda County has been using property taxes to pay for Delta Tunnels (BDCP/CA WaterFix) planning costs before even one shovel of dirt has been turned. Taxpayers never had a vote on these taxes.

Fees for the tunnels were to come from water ratepayers not property taxes. California Department of Water Resources, Metropolitan Water District of Southern California, Santa Clara Valley Water District, and Zone 7 officials have said for years in public that the tunnels would cost just $5 a month for urban water users. These taxes were buried deep in agency records in at least two water districts.

“The public is unaware that their property taxes are being used to pay for the planning of a project that will have negative impacts on the San Francisco Bay-Delta estuary,” said Barbara Barrigan-Parrilla, executive director of Restore the Delta. “Property taxpayers in Zone 7 never had a vote on the matter, and the district has not discussed this funding in any broad manner to facilitate public understanding.”

This June, a PRA request revealed a similar Delta Tunnels funding scheme by the Santa Clara Valley Water District in June and resulted in public outcry over funding the Delta Tunnels with property taxes.

“We are seeing a similar shell game being used to fund Delta Tunnels planning in water districts across the state,” said Barrigan-Parrilla.

In letters to both Zone 7 and Santa Clara Valley Water District in March of this year, the Howard Jarvis Taxpayers Association said urban water districts could face lawsuits over these property taxes for the project because the Delta Tunnels were not part of the 1960 act that launched the State Water Project. In fact, a similar proposal, the Peripheral Canal, was rejected by Californians in 1983. To be legal, any new fees for the Delta Tunnels must be approved by a two-thirds vote of taxpayers under Proposition 13.

However, Zone 7 collected these property taxes to pay for their share of the State Water Project. About 1/12th of what has been paid to the State Water Project from 2008 to 2013 has been used to pay for Delta Tunnels planning for a total $2,473,768. An estimated additional $259,751 was paid in 2014.

“If Zone 7 could not undertake Delta tunnels planning without tapping into property taxes, how will it pay for its share of a $15 billion project (before cost overruns) relying only on a $5 month increase to water bills?” asked Barrigan-Parrilla.

Analysis of the Zone 7 PRA Documents
    The original PRA request for the Zone 7 Water Agency was intended to investigate the sources of funds Zone 7 is using to pay the DWR for its BDCP Program. According to the DWR Statement of Charges, from 2008 through 2013, Zone 7 paid $2,473,768 to the DWR for BDCP usage. The breakdown of charges expressed in the Statement of Charges (SOC), is as follows:

Year Charges ($)
    2008 67,764
    2009 551,820
    2010 672,854
    2011 102,180
    2012 474,826
    2013 604,324
    Total 2,473,768

A footnote to this table in the original attachment in the statement of charges states that for years 2012 and forward “total BDCP-DHCCP charges are included as a line item in a letter from DWR and invoiced 1/12 per month as part of the Minimum Transportation Charge.” According to the State of Charges for funds due in 2014, the annual transportation charge will be $3,117,017. 1/12 of the total value of this comes to $259,751 (see Attachment A1), and this should be treated as the 2014 BDCP contribution value.

According to Zone 7’s Budget and Comprehensive Annual Financial Report for 2015-2016, all funds sent to the DWR for State Water Project charges come from Fund 110 (State Water Facilities). Fund 110 is primarily paid for by property taxes – see page 3-6 of the 2015-2016 budget. Approximately 84.5% of this fund is paid for in property taxes:

It is clear that Zone 7 uses property taxes, water sales and “other revenue” to pay for its BDCP contributions to the DWR.

Default Property Taxes & WaterFix....

Well,.... Another concern might be that the district used a portion of money/revenue received from "Aid from Governmental Agencies" to fund planning for WaterFix. If that money is from a grant for a specific purpose (other than the tunnels project)it might be considered illegal. If I understand this correctly, kinda seems like a shell game.
    Last edited by Darian; 07-08-2016 at 10:51 PM.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown