Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Questions for Spear fishers:

Default Answers....

Rockit,.... Thanks for the reply. Hopefully others will chime in too.

winxp-man,.... Not helpful....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

What's to be helpful about Darian????? All I see on Instagram is trophy fish killed of all types! Who cares if it's eaten. It's full of merc. And I personally know spear guys and if they where to chime in here they would blow off how they eat it no matter how big!!! Then I ask why is there a need to kill a trophy fish for food when commen sense tells you that they are full of merc. Heck we don't live in a day in age when there is no internet. Just a little googling you will be surprised as to what's in the bigger fish. Oh and I'm sure some of the guys killing the striper hens on the lower American say the say thing over and over that they eat them or that they are given to people that eat them. But hey what ever floats the boat.

If education is key it's simple keep the average size or smaller and limit the intake of poison into your body!
    Aron-

"I own a time machine, but it only moves forward at regular speed..."

"So many rivers to fish so little time!"

I personally see the Mercury argument as circumventing the real problem...

In most matters of conservation, a river, a forest, a community, an ecosystem, a species is seldom, if ever, saved based on factors favoring human health and well being even though most often those benefits are the eventual outcome of saving say a rain forest, a fjord, a watershed like our delta or a species of fish like striped bass.

It is usually self-LESS reasons which serve as the cornerstone/s to protection of a species or natural area.

Honestly, I believe the mercury-level thing is a bit overdone similar to the AMA's restrictions on certain substances (like kidney tolerances and set standards for acetaminophen mg levels in certain prescription drugs...) Government regulatory agencies do tend to err on the side of conservatism regarding health and safety issues.

That said, I am careful about how much fish I eat from the American River.

But to make suggestions on releasing large stripers based on toxicity and human health is not necessarily helpful to our cause as to do so circumvents and often even omits the real reasons why we should let large stripers go and the even larger issues at hand regarding our diminishing water supply, diminishing delta, diminishing fish stocks (of all species; game and non game fish, native and non-native, cold and warm water, oceanic, anadromous, tidal and fresh water species included) and diminishing opportunities for our hunting and fishing past times.

When I engage in a conversation about striped bass (usually on the river with an encountered angler I do not know) I express the importance of letting large stripers go but my reasons are because the larger fish have the genes for survival and need to be able to reproduce and since larger hens are the brood stock for future generations. A 12 lb bass lays 850,000 eggs whereas a 50lb bass lays as many as 4.5 million.

Also, I relay that the American River is a niche habitat which doesn't have anywhere near the numbers of the Sacramento and Feather Rivers but does have a reasonable number of larger fish per capita. I also now have to bring spear fishers in to the equation because as the clearest of the central valley rivers, big hen stripers are now extremely vulnerable to this 100% kill/take method which has (in my opinion) no business being allowed on our river.

As detrimental as over-harvesting and culling of big, spawning females (by ALL anglers and spearos) is to the survival of striped bass, it ultimately pales in comparison to the greatest threat of all which is the excess water diversions accelerated in 1993 by installation of the pumps at Clifton Court Forebay and the continued attempt to greatly increase those diversions (via twin tunnels) by rich, corporate farmers (Westland's Water District) and quasi governmental (MWD) and governmental (BOR DWR CDFW) agencies.

In their attempts to wrest control of delta waters, the striped bass is being used as a scapegoat or a red-herring (a distraction from logical discourse) which has little to do with actual cause and effect and even less to do with the heart/truth of the matter in question) <- me not Merriam Webster so may be off a bit...

As long as proponents of the twin tunnels can dupe the public in to believing that something other than water exports is responsible for the decline of the salmon... or any other declining aspect of the overall health of our delta ecosystem... then they have a better chance of advancing their agenda and they will keep pressing forward and taking politicians and agencies with them in their wake of fury and they will try to divide and conquer those of us who actually care.

This is all so complex as so many are involved and so few are aware of the truth. It is so easy for big money to push its agenda, especially when it calls itself, "Bay Delta Conservation Plan" or "Coalition for a Sustainable Delta" (Look those up to find out what they are REALLY about). When they rally about farming jobs and food for Californians (which in truth they scarcely provide). When they talk about HUMANS vs. a tiny smelt (which is not even close to the actual cost/benefit reality of their water diversion proposals arguments.

Unfortunately, 99% of the people on our planet could really give a shit about a healthy delta, fisheries, etc.. It just isn't at the forefront of most folks' thought process (out of sight, out of mind). Most Americans spend more time watching the Kardashabarfians than they do in their yards and an even greater percentage will tell you they've never been to a river much less fished in one. People are more apt to vote for Kanye as president than to get involved in a sensitive political issue regarding the health of an ecosystem to which they have never been and have no idea they derive any benefit from...

THANKFULLY, there are the whistle-blowers and extremely-concerned folks like those at restorethedelta.org who DO CARE IMMENSELY and are doing all they can to fight for what is most worthy of our protection (our natural resources which belong to you and to me and to everyone and to no ONE entity)

TO BE CONTINUED
    Last edited by STEELIES/26c3; 07-06-2016 at 03:33 PM.

Do you think the dude in the Raiders gear and throat tat really gives a F what you think?
    The more people I meet, the more I love my dog.

Team Stinky Duck

Nice piece of material STEELIES/26c3......thanks for taking the time to write that! I am with you on that 100%.....

Scary times for sure!!!

Do you think the dude in the Raiders gear and throat tat really gives a F what you think?
    about what, the Raiders?

I grew up in Oakland and was a huge Raiders fan from the days of Daryle Lamonica to about the Hostetler era so I'm sure we could find some common ground.

But if you mean about spearfishing and stripers, politics and water, conservation and sustainable resources... then, NO and is why I stated the following passage in my original post, "Unfortunately, 99% of the people on our planet could really give a shit about a healthy delta, fisheries, etc.."

Nice piece of material STEELIES/26c3......thanks for taking the time to write that! I am with you on that 100%.....

Scary times for sure!!!
    and Thanks Ben for caring~
    Last edited by STEELIES/26c3; 07-14-2016 at 06:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by STEELIES/26c3 View Post
    about what, the Raiders?

I grew up in Oakland and was a huge Raiders fan from the days of Daryle Lamonica to about the Hostetler era so I'm sure we could find some common ground.

But if you mean about spearfishing and stripers, politics and water, conservation and sustainable resources... then, NO and is why I stated the following passage in my original post, "Unfortunately, 99% of the people on our planet could really give a shit about a healthy delta, fisheries, etc.."

and Thanks Ben for caring~
    I doubt the beforementioned fan even knows who Daryle Lamonica is....... For me, I miss Bill King....... And, could you imagine what his play-by-play would've sounded like of any of Curry's performances this season?! Especially the OKC game back in February!

I remember fishing the delta (a very different delta, naturally) with my Father while listening to Bill King's play-by-play of an early 70's Raider game...... Good times and memories........ Great fishery back then too......
    Last edited by OceanSunfish; 07-15-2016 at 12:30 AM.

I doubt the beforementioned fan even knows who Daryle Lamonica is....... For me, I miss Bill King....... And, could you imagine what his play-by-play would've sounded like of any of Curry's performances this season?! Especially the OKC game back in February!

I remember fishing the delta (a very different delta, naturally) with my Father while listening to Bill King's play-by-play of an early 70's Raider game...... Good times and memories........ Great fishery back then too......
    Yah buddy!

My favorite era and favorite quarterback produced one of the most memorable 4th quarter sequences, victories = 1974 Raiders VS Dolphins "Sea of Hands" comeback with The Snake flushed and falling pass to Clarence Davis in the end zone, followed by the Phil Villpiano INT. Great game call there by King. He was the greatest~

Hey Darian...Once there is a Spear through the Fish...What Difference can it possibly make??? Cheers

Default Questions/Answers....

Hi Frank,.... Probably no danger of any other spearos answering now.... So, what I was after was a reading on the actual use of those speared fish, human consumption or waste of a natural/public resource. If the latter, a proposal to modify/repeal any regulations or local codes would likely be more acceptable by the commission or county supervisors if supported by some applicable information than the highjacking/emotional rant in/of this thread.... Guess I'll try to develop this from other sources.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown