Thread: Away from the Tying-Bench for 13 years.

Default Away from the Tying-Bench for 13 years.

Greetings:

It's difficult to believe I was away from tying flies for thirteen years. About a month ago I decided to break out the large tackle box full of tying tools and materials. I began tying flies in 1979 and tied for many years but, my career required much traveling and raising four boys, well, you know the rest.

Tying was not the same, I soon found that my eyes and fingers did not behave the way they did when I was young. But, I kept at it until I was somewhat satisfied with my results. One of my favorite patters is the Humpy, I have caught many Trout with this patter so I decided to try tying it again. Not a show fly but, with practice, I should have them looking good again. I have also worked on some Shad flies for the American River which I fish several days a week, those patterns are proving to be quite successful.

Camera: Nikon D3, Lens: Nikkor 105 MM Micro, f/5, @ 120/sec, 400ASA, Platform: Tripod, Light: Incandescent.

Enjoy,

Don
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TYING FLYS 05-21-16.jpg 
Views:	240 
Size:	40.7 KB 
ID:	12100  
    Last edited by Pescatore; 07-03-2016 at 10:52 PM.

Congratulations Don and welcome to our message board.

I see that you and I are from the same generation, Baby Boomers, so we experienced much of the same things in growing up.

Back in the 1970s the Humpy was a big deal. It is still very popular today in many configurations.

Thanks for posting here and we are glad to have another veteran fly fishing on our forum.

Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

nice tie. that'll catch feesh!

i'll be half a century old this november. just started tying flies last year. so for me it was never easier to see! lol

eric
    fresno, ca.

Welcome Don, In the 70's the humpy went by names Horner Deer Hair, Goofus Bug, Humpy, and probably one or two more. You tied a good looking one there.
    Bob